Ivy - rampant in my garden

purdie69, Jan 20, 3:15pm
I have recently taken over this property and this horrible Ivy is everywhere, winding up trees, running along the ground and even popping up in my veggie garden. I have tried Roundup, which it seems to love - can anyone suggest how I get rid of it?
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/715057763.jpg

nonumbers, Jan 20, 3:18pm
Hands and knees and pull it out one piece at a time - very satisfying . . .

tegretol, Jan 20, 3:26pm
Waste of time.

Cut a notch in the main stems at 45 degrees and immediately put Tordon G2 granules on the fresh cuts. Do that at as many places as you can, esp where there are other branches coming off. Keep the granules in contact with the cuts for 24hrs or so and within a fortnight, the entire plant will be pretty much the same as Winston Peters.

lythande1, Jan 20, 3:57pm
Tordon. Cut it first, then on with Tordon, Glysophate won't do anything.

purdie69, Jan 20, 4:03pm
You gotta be joking. If you saw how much there is!

purdie69, Jan 20, 4:04pm
Will give the Tordon a try, thanks

maclad, Jan 20, 4:40pm
Probably not a bad solution but you could also add a penetrant, such as pulse, to your spray making the job easier and hopefully more effective. Follow up at 3 to 6 week intervals to get good control over the ivy.

trade4us2, Jan 20, 6:33pm
But there's only one little bit on the floor!

owen106, Jan 20, 7:21pm
Acting PM for 6 weeks' you mean.

tegretol, Jan 20, 7:25pm
No, I meant wilted, past it's best-by date and ukered.

quiz3, Jan 20, 9:30pm
Love it!

korban, Jan 21, 3:57pm
We have had success with putting glysophate neat on the leaves, I just wore gloves and painted the leaves.

mower_men, Jan 21, 4:13pm
Roundup should kill it put some dishwashing detergent in your spray tank this will act as a sticker make sure you coat the leaves so they are all wet

hazelnut2, Jan 21, 4:53pm
Pull out/off as much as you can first, find the main stem, cut that as close to the ground as you can and poison the roots with the herbicides recommended above. Ivy seeds as well as spreads through ines touching the ground, so keep a vigilant eye out for new plants. My hubby got rid of a rampant ivy off a tin fence. He enjoyed the challenge of getting it 'gone'.

purdie69, Jan 9, 8:57am
Thank you everyone