Garden Edging

hyborn, Jun 26, 1:51pm
Hi all, I just wondered what people have used or found the best to edge there garden with Im considering the wooden sort of half rounds that are wired together or maybe the plastic board - my garden is curved so cant do straight timber. How well has things lasted is easy to mow against, Ive put in a new garden and feel a nice edging of sorts would look great - hope you can help with thoughts and experiences

iluvmuse, Jun 26, 3:23pm
Is your lawn above or below the garden?
IMO solid timber is the best solution and you can bend it a long way if you set it up right.

hyborn, Jun 26, 3:39pm
Possibly the lawn is slightly below the garden hubby doesn't like it if garden creeps out . no way of bending the timber to curvy

veejay13, Jun 26, 3:41pm
I've got a garden of the half-rounds wired together. It was put in about 1988 and so far shows no signs of deterioration. The lawn is lower than the garden, so in effect the rounds are acting as retaining wall.

happychappy50, Jun 26, 3:46pm
Have you thought about a concrete edge? If it is curved you can use something like ply to create an edge & a mowing strip at ground level

tweake, Jun 26, 3:51pm
i've got the half rounds and plastic edging.

biggest mistake i see that was done previously was not digging it in. they are made to be buried in quite a way. otherwise they just fall over. any pins are not meant to go over it. any pinning is down below ground level.
the other thing is it needs to be level/straight/flat. the edging doesn't handle curving up or down, that just buckles it and it looks like crap.

the shorter plastic is really meant for grass level or lower gardens. you dig in 3/4's of its height so the top is grass height. gives you something to run the mower and weed wacker against.

oh_hunnihunni, Jun 26, 4:20pm
The cheapest and easiest edging I ever did for beds against lawns was a trench dug witn a sharp spade, down about half a spade depth, flat on the lawn side sloping up to the earth of the garden. It was deep enough to stop grass migrating, made mowing really easy (no edging required) and made a really good 'moat' for drainage in the wet. Once a year it needed tidying up, but it worked lke a dream and looked fantastic. Very neat and clean. But ypu need a sharp spade.

amasser, Jun 26, 4:35pm
O/P - if you mean the vertical strips that are wired together, would not recommend them. Wire can rust and shape allows weeds to grow between pieces.

starseeker, Jun 26, 4:37pm
Twice I have seen hedgehogs' legs caught in the slight gap between the half rounds, very distressing for them & for the person trying to release them.

hyborn, Jun 26, 4:50pm
thanks all interesting reading - going to pass info on to Hubby

flier3, Jun 26, 5:20pm
I've used both - the wooden ones eventually rotted out as they were in the earth. The thick plastic with the wire hoops can be curved quite nicely and I have, on the garden next to lawn, had them level with the lawn. My mower man does a good job mowing along the edge. On one of my other gardens, along a driveway, I have them proud of the garden to keep the mulch off said drive. Birds can't scratch the mulch (wood chippings) over it - win/win situation. Good luck with whatever you decide to

hyborn, Jun 27, 10:08am
Thanks all looking forward to doing something to keep tidy look smart etc

jangal1, Oct 25, 4:05pm
H4 100x12