I need help in my garden as I am elderly

Page 1 / 2
banjo2002, Jun 19, 1:07pm
And the garden is no respecter of age
I just cant work out there any more and the weeds grow faster than I can pull them out
I am in Royal Oak Auckland and would appreciate assistance

melp6, Jun 19, 1:29pm
Do you want to pay or have someone come and do it out of love?

I know here in Invercargill every year/6 months(can't quite remember now) Age Concern puts a call out for those who need their gardens done. I think Rotary do it for free

cleggyboy, Jun 19, 1:30pm
I'm in a similar situation, if it is of any help this is what I have done. I have a mobility scooter so I got longer doweling fitted to my trowel & fork and I can do a lot from the scooter. Even scatter the manure plant plants into hole using one of those grabbers that disabled have for picking up stuff off the floor, they are very useful.

cleggyboy, Jun 19, 2:53pm
Winz also assists via your doctor. I get my lawns and hedge cut that way.

banjo2002, Jun 19, 4:22pm
Thanks guys I will follow it up

junie2, Jun 19, 7:27pm
In Canterbury Age Concern has tried and trusted gardeners they recommend. You pay an hourly rate but it is fair and they are not rip-offs.

tegretol, Jun 20, 8:38am
Roundup wand.

lythande1, Jun 20, 8:40am
My mum in Napier could not find anyone willing to do hers, too small and not worth it for them. Alas.

oh_hunnihunni, Jun 20, 9:07am
It may be time to get the garden renovated to be low maintenance. With planning you could have flowers and texture with minimal upkeep. Sometimes I think we gardeners are our own worst enemies making more work for ourselves simply because we are locked into things like seasonal bedding plants and high maintenance routines. A one time investment with a good landscaping company might well be a good solution for the long term.

banjo2002, Jun 20, 1:17pm
Very wise statements
We have 12 gardens on 1/3 acre hate to think what the professionals would rip er charge to do a make over

comsolve, Jun 20, 1:54pm
With that attitude it should be no surprise you haven't found anyone.

You remind me of Mrs Glick from "Three Men and a Comic Book" episode of The Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYMLkHyw5A&index=4&list=PLOYs0-h5AfPSxFlYakyy7BB-P7CmKzLi0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqj2SH0yJjQ&index=5&list=PLOYs0-h5AfPSxFlYakyy7BB-P7CmKzLi0

lythande1, Jun 20, 2:13pm
Unless you can't afford to do that.

venna2, Jun 20, 2:26pm
I recommend Builderscrack for finding any sort of tradesman.
https://builderscrack.co.nz/

A very pleasant and efficient man is working in my garden as I type.

cleggyboy, Jun 20, 2:31pm
I tried that agency Goodnest once, once to often. They sent a real rip off artist to do the job, the price was appalling and he used untreated timber when I specified H4. So the outcome nobody got paid. That was two years back.

venna2, Jun 20, 3:43pm
If that was Builderscrack, there's not a "they" who sends people to do your work. You can read other people's reviews of the tradesmen, choose up to three to inspect what you need doing and to quote, and then you're free to choose one - or not.

oh_hunnihunni, Jun 20, 3:56pm
Yes, it pays to use reputable tradies for any job, and to get quotes rather than estimates. In the long run though, saving up to get a decent job done properly first time round is more economical in the long run.

I am intrigued by twelve gardens on a third of an acre though. Sounds like the set up me and my neighbour currently play with. Be nice if the LL did it, but seems their responsibility ends with mowing the lawns. Still, more fun for us - when the weather is good!

comsolve, Jun 20, 4:28pm
The OP's property is likely worth at least $2 million dollars for 1,600m2 in that area. Probably $3 million plus if it's in a good location keeping in mind Royal Oak borders on Epsom. They can and should pay someone properly to tend to their garden.

kiwimade64, Jun 20, 5:15pm
That may be, but that doesn't always equate to $$$$ in the bank.

venna2, Jun 20, 5:18pm
No, but they could always downsize and free up some cash.

comsolve, Jun 20, 5:41pm
No doubt that will be of no relevance when they either sell or it's inherited by their children. They will take top dollar and smile at how great it all is.

Meanwhile, the gardener needs to live as well and Auckland is not a cheap place to live.

I reckon $40-50 an hour is what they should be paying.

junie2, Jun 20, 7:17pm
Wow, what a lot of presumption! OP - I hope you have found some help in these suggestions above. Do you have Age Concern in Auck? If not there will be something similar, and also possibly Cit Advice may help. BTW, in Chch the rate is $25 p h, unless you go for one of the big franchised companies. If money is really as issue, how about get in touch with a local church or marae.

finelawns, Jun 20, 10:27pm
seriously $25hr. A gardener will run on a 20% net profit so your saying someone will work for $5hr in the hand. Unlike any other business that comes to your property the gardener does not charge travel and fuel costs and time. Then they have there work safe compliance costs. Maintainence on tools and vehicles and if they are employing staff here in Auckland I pay my guys $35hr. So that doesn’t allow me to charge the $40 to $5O suggested. My elderly customer reverse mortgage their properties so they don’t have the financial stress I’m happy to charge a rate that allows a business to operate and they are happy to pay it’s that easy. So just question the prices being thrown around do those gardening company comply with work safe legislation, do they carry public liability insurance, and are they using the best tools. If they don’t have the gear it may be a false economy and your paying more than a more expensive company with the gear and experience to complete the job quicker. My friends in the industry and myself don’t use builders crack that business model attracts new start businesses whom usually don’t have the best in gear and for the prices being charged its equal to that of sweet shops eg being well under minimal wage. A business can’t get or hold staff below minimal wage. If your paying $25hr your gardener is making money through something they are not doing to make their profits just sounds like a nightmare

finelawns, Jun 20, 10:37pm
well said. I entered this industry to help the elderly and I love doing work for them. I appreciate the elderly don’t have a working knowledge of what things cost today but they have a means to live well and financially stress free by putting a reverse mortgage on their properties. I don’t look for work people can only get to me through a recommendation from a excisting client therefore I get paid properly. The problem with a quote is the best way to make a profit is not what is done but by what not is done. I can tell you the best person will come to you by recommendation they will charge up the work and discuss with you what you will like and leave once you are happy with the work. The good people out there will be like extended family in that you trust them on your property and they respect your property that is the most important factor to consider.

junie2, Jun 20, 10:52pm
Just saying - that's how it is in Chch, ( I've even heard of less ) except for the franchisees.

junie2, Jun 20, 10:53pm
How do you guys even know the OP owns his/her own property?