Pleasant surprise in my garden

maclad, Oct 14, 3:33pm
A few years ago I got lot of Sandersonia and Littonia seeds. Duly put them in seed mix and put aside as they can take years to germinate, love a challenge. After my "wonderful" grandies upended then several times in 2 years I gave up and tipped the lot in the garden. Last year they started to come up in among my plants and today I found a few more. I have put them all in pots and added them to the 1 or 200 established ones I have. Looking forward to a lovely display this year. Now to hope not too many of my visitors ask for them as I have given too many away.

ruby2shoes, Oct 14, 3:54pm
everynow and then I have mignonette pop up. Lovely plant.

maclad, Oct 14, 4:06pm
Surprises are fun in the garden, at least pleasant ones are. I have a perennial/cottage type garden and it just is not quite right. This year I have decided that I will not pull out any self sown seedlings, unless they are Sandersonia, and will let Mother Nature dictate and run her course. She has far more talent and knowledge than I do. Awaiting with anticipation to see how well she does. My garden is pretty mundane in winter but the rest of the year is a mass of colour and interesting plants.

colin433, Oct 14, 7:22pm
I knew the name sandersonia, but couldn't recall the flower,, having never grown it. I googled it, and yes, I recognise it. I believe it's a popular florist flower, am I correct.

maclad, Oct 14, 7:40pm
I believe it is a florist flower however I have never seen it in a florist shop. Guess it is hard to find but lovely to have and very different.

koru67, Oct 14, 8:55pm
I know the name sandersonia but had to google littonia, very nice!.

koru67, Mar 7, 1:17am
I also had to google mignonette. I am presuming it is a flower that has been around a long time?. I ask because I do have a Mignonette in my family tree who was born in 1882.