Agapanthus and Ivy Over-run Garden.ARGHHHH!

Page 1 / 2
hound31, May 30, 11:47pm
I was just going to ask about these blasted things and found this thread. Getting a boundary fence put in at new house and I've been digging aggies out. don't even start me on the ivy on the back fence. there should be a law against planting both these things lol.
Going to the Garden centre tomorrow so Tordon is the best stuff to use on the Ivy and Round Up with nitrogen mixed in for the agapanthas? Is the nitrogen dry powder? do I just bung a bit in the sprayer. i'm no gardner, you might be able to tell. alll I want is a lawn at the back and none of that stuff growing back!

lythande1, May 31, 7:18am
Yes.
I had ivy, ginger, agapanthus, wandering jew, privet, wooly nightshade to name a few. Mainly cause neighbours were out of control, to the point you couldn't see most of the property at all.

I cut and cut, dug roots out (Jasmine) and sprayed and sprayed the boundary for 2 years. I won in the end but it took ages.

sooby, May 31, 8:06am
Hey lythande1, do you have any before and after photos of your battle?

Also to original poster, why not list Aggies for sale free here, ie bring a spade and help yourself - that's how I got rid of ours!

jh34, May 31, 1:25pm
The best way to deal with agapanthus is saw them with a pruning saw.

lythande1, May 31, 4:16pm
Only a few, doesn't show a lot of it:
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/802597598.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/802597686.jpg -- https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/802596886.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/802597960.jpg Moved stone garden to this spot, planted veges in it, now it is a strawberry patch. ------ https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/802597101.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/802597195.jpg Can't quite see by fence but infested with Toon trees, took a year to kill the suckers that came up. ------------- https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/802596480.jpg
No after as such, removed wire fence altogether from here, wood fence still there, we dig this mess out right along our drive (back section). Then got the drive asphalted. It had privet and agapanthus IN the middle of drive too.
(from neighbours)

mggd, May 31, 4:45pm
I used to cut our agapanthus back with a chain saw at ground level, worked a treat but you need to know what else might be in there.

hound31, May 31, 4:46pm
Mine have been dealt to with a chainsaw first, then pruning saw, then spade. I just wanted to know how to get rid of the rest permanently. can't dig any more of the damn things out. i have back problems and starting to look like a half bent teaspoon with all the digging. they're stubborn ba$%%tards!

pauline999, May 31, 6:37pm
I cut mine down to ground level with a saw then used an axe to chop into what was left of them until they were gone. I only had about 6 really big ones to deal with though.

sossie1, May 31, 6:40pm
We bought a 68 home, awesome place, but some dodgy plants.

Saw, cut back, drill with big drill bit, filled up holes with neat weedkiller

funkydunky, Jun 2, 6:53am
Is Vigilant gel still available? I dealt to agapanthus, old mans beard and heaps of other nasties with this at my dad's jungle. Cut off at roots and apply .

jh34, Jun 2, 8:23am
Agapanthus are pretty, they have just become too common. I replaced mine with pineapple sage. It flowered through April and halfway through May.

trade4us2, Jun 2, 9:50am
I planted about 300 agapanthus plants and they are doing well. They are not causing a problem, and I have not had to get rid of any.
I planted some ivy, and that is starting to take over a bit. But it's in a confined space. I have chopped out some of it and sprayed it.

portly, Jun 2, 5:32pm
Metron will kill both

lucy1711, Jun 3, 7:09am
Haha, our pet sheep loves ivy, has cleared all on acres, he also has mowed the agapanthus to extinction. Has taken him 4 years though!

hhb, Dec 20, 9:02pm
Just purchased an amazing 70's home where it's obv that the past owners were not avid gardeners! 564sqm section in total, some of it in x2 small terraces up back and down side (house is on steep road). The ivy has gone beserk as has the ever multiplying agapanthus, both covering everything literally growing each day at mo, I have had two skip loads of garden waste removed already. I am thinking that seeing is there really is nothing worth saving, am I best to chop as much out and then treat whole garden where really bad, with big mounds of old root systems (that see have done serious damage to fences and retaining walls), with a super strong weed killer and leave for a few months to all die down so I can start from scratch again? Any suggestions on how to approach this much appreciated, thanks :-)

kindajojo, Dec 20, 10:25pm
Aggies. we have that problem, found the best way to deal with them is to bruise the leaves. give thema good beating then apply weedkiller with a sticking agent ie you canuse dishwashing liquid or buy the expensive product . we used round up with no effect but found tordon worked well.
Left for a few months then mowed and sprayed again to catch the next lot.
On one area we re fenced so the aggies were in the paddock and left the sheep and cows to deal with them.
Horrid things.
Cant offer much advise for the ivy.

Would be interested if anyone has used a flame weeder. or something that kills with heat

lythande1, Dec 21, 7:12am
I have had this many times.
Cut the agapanthus, I used a spade and leveled it to ground level, then put that gel weedkiller on it.
Ivy - Tordon.

Cut it a bit first.

Once it's dead and gone, you can start with the new garden plants.

jan2242, Dec 21, 11:09am
Is it possible to get a small digger in and take up the lot? Might be the quickest way. I did that with part of my place where I was losing the battle with aggies.

scruff71, Dec 21, 11:29am
Agapanthus is flowering at the moment so best to slice it at ground level with a spade, or as suggested, get a small digger on to your steep site, or hire a crew to clear the ground for you. Ivy is just as tenacious and sneaks up everywhere.
I think a bit of hard yakka now to remove the topsoil and old tree roots, rotary hoe the area, apply compost, new topsoil and start afresh.

trade4us2, Dec 21, 12:28pm
My neighbours and I have very steep sections, and Agapanthus about the only suitable plant to stop the bank falling down and destroying our houses.

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 21, 1:21pm
Trouble with total wipeout is you'll lose any treasures that might be lying in wait for someone to give them some room. Because if it is an old garden, there are bound to be a few surprises just waiting under that green blanket. If you can, I'd continue the slash and burn strategy, hard work but better rewards.

steptoesnr, Dec 21, 2:13pm
x1
Roundup or any other brand of glyphosate will most definitely kill agapanthas but ONLY with a penetrant such as urea (nitrogen), Add an equal quantity to that of your weedicide. Eradication will take 3-4 sprays over a year or so,

malcovy, Dec 21, 3:12pm
Good to know

dottyone1, Dec 21, 4:36pm
My daughter used some plants from India or south America that will hold the bank. Roots go down very deep, It is like a tussock but does not reseed
so is no trouble to N.Z natives which agaas smother and not good for our natives or our birds, Suggest some one will know what it is .

hhb, Mar 22, 8:01am
Thanks everyone. just checked this now fm last night. been out in garden all.day! Gee I love the idea of getting mini digger.in to take top layer but too hilly and steps everywhere. Hard yakka it is then with slash and weed killer called Associate my neighbour suggested this mng,purchased fm Farmlands. I will get there. it could be a spectacular garden such a shame they left it to go wild.