Idiots question for the day!

piquant, Dec 26, 1:08pm
I'm posting here because I "know" a lot of you and whilst I know my stuff on my chosen subject - I'm hopeless when it comes to certain things - mostly technology! Not that this is what you could really call technology - . but here goes.
Yesterday my TV got "stuck" on one channel - not one I would wish to view
and now I'm getting very frustrated. I have a freeview box so I use the remote connected to that. Damn! I thought - batteries are flat - and duly changed them. Nothing, niet, nix. I can't even change the channel on the TV buttons or the freeview box. Does this mean that my remote has died and all I need to do is get another one or is there likely to be something more complicated? The TV is working fine - just can't get rid of this B******y American crap!

zak410, Dec 26, 1:16pm
Can you change channel manually, from the TV ?

You can also try to unplug your TV and freeview box from their power sockets and then reconnect a couple of minutes later; that sometimes mysteriously 'reset' electronics, or even update the freeview box when reconnected.
Best of luck.

mark.52, Dec 26, 1:20pm
I find often with this sort of thing that restarting the tv and freeview box (or any other associated ancillaries, such as a router/modem), leaving them powered down for about half a minute before reconnecting the power, and letting them settle after restarting can often cure most ills.

piquant, Dec 26, 1:46pm
Thanks, guys - that seems to have done the trick! I should have asked you yesterday - would have saved 24 hours of frustration!

zak410, Dec 26, 5:55pm
I see double, but you're welcome.

jan2242, Dec 27, 8:07am
Mine does that sometimes and turning the freeview box off gives it time to cool down. Someone told me you should turn them off at night so do that now and have now problems with it.

piquant, Dec 27, 9:27am
Thank you, jan2242, I'll try that too.

easygoer, Dec 27, 2:18pm
Nothing to do with cooling it down, when the power is removed and left for at least 10 to 20 seconds, any capacitors holding energy will discharge and the electronics will be reinstated to their default state, turning on is the same as rebooting a computer when it hiccups, works generally on any electronic device and should always be tried before calling for a service person

captaingraham, Dec 27, 7:37pm
I had 2 Dish decoders and they used to freeze quite often.

mack77, Jan 21, 5:05pm
Well, just shift them to a warmer location.