Overwatered gerbera plant

j96, Dec 28, 9:51pm
I told him and told him to stop watering it! Now its all droopy and not a happy plant. Ive tipped the excess water out, is there any chance it will recover? Is there anything else i can do?

rita197, Dec 29, 10:46am
Just wait until the soil is completely dry. They like only a very small amount of water. about 3 tablespoons every month or so.

paora-tm, Dec 29, 10:59am
I've killed a few! It's early days but I've started doing this with them. I either plant them in the ground (well draining soil) or into a medium sized pot - around 8 litre size. This makes it less easy to over-water them. I also only water them when they start getting droopy - water around them so the middle (crown I think it is called) doesn't get soggy. I have saved a couple recently which were looking really really bad (over-watered) in the small pots they usually come in - by immediately planting them in the ground without watering at the time.

j96, Dec 30, 12:50pm
oh thank you, i knew they didnt like much water but didnt realise it was so little :-) hes been watering it every couple of days!

dollydot, Jan 19, 3:46pm
I've lost many gerberas so don't buy them now although I love them but was given a helpful tip from Palmers garden shops. Because gerbera stems are hollow water can accumulate in them and filter down causing rot and the plant dies. When you pick the flowers for inside or because they have died off fold the remaining stalk over a little so water can't get down inside the stem. She said this helps to prevent the rot. Only watering them when they're really dry as above is relevant also.