Painting the kitchen ceiling

shepa1, May 1, 8:54pm
Hi. We have decided to paint the ceiling in the kitchen. We have had a shocking problem with flies in the house and so the ceiling is filthy! We are going to wash it with a solution of sugar soap and bleach over the next few nights. No doubt we will miss a few spots so are thinking of an undercoat and then topcoat. Does this sound right?

Or do we do as our neighbour says, and not wash the ceiling but just put the undercoat straight on?

Many thanks for any help/suggestions.

johotech, May 1, 10:03pm
Wash it. And sand it.
I've used a wallpaper steamer with good results on stained ceilings. Be careful though.

happychappy50, May 1, 10:34pm
This ^^^^^^

Like most jobs,if you want a job to be proud of like what you are contemplating it’s all in the prep,a good sealer like Bin 123 then a ceiling paint

tim19563, May 1, 10:40pm
For a good result,proper preparation is always essential.I would wash very well with sugar soap then sand.Then two coats of oil based undercoat followed by two coats of enamel topcoat.

lythande1, May 2, 7:28am
Wash. And I recommend Zinsser Antimould semigloss. Why semigloss? IT's so, so easy to wipe clean.
I did it to my bathroom,kitchen and lounge ceilings.

kiwimade64, May 2, 7:55am
Preperation is the key as other posters have said. Clean using sugar soap. I used an oil based sealant on our hallway ceiling as there was something on it I just couldn't clean off. Heaven knows what the previous owner had done. My dad was a painter/paperhanger so suggested I try that and it worked. Then three coats of paint and done.

j96, May 2, 7:43pm
i wouldnt use enamel paint on the ceiling, its a pain to use, stinks like buggery and goes yellow over time. wash it with sugar soap, 1 undercoat and a couple of top coats with a good waterbased enamel paint, i like the accent brand at mitre 10. The low sheen is brilliant and does have a very very slight sheen to it so not completely flat. Really easy to clean as well and brushes/rollers clean up in water

richynuts, May 2, 9:11pm
Resene do a spacecote enamel fly deterrent paint. I have used it on a couple of farm houses but never gone back to see if it has actually worked. Any way clean ceiling with sugar soap and if still bad after cleaning use zinsser coverstain.

sanders4, May 2, 9:36pm
I am a painter and like what j96 says - keep it simple but aim for a good result

shepa1, Nov 16, 11:07am
Thanks everyone. I have started the washing and am getting into the swing of it. I spray the ceiling with a concoction of sugar soap with a touch of janola and then wipe it over with a microfibre floor mop thingie ( long stick with a double sided microfibre on the end. Fly poop is coming off like magic! Will be off to Resenes for undercoat and top coat. Am going to you-tube a few painting lessons next.