Heated towel rail question.

fishb8, Dec 27, 6:45am
I want to fit timers on 2 heated towel rails in bathrooms. Both are hard wired.
Can I change them to a socket, then plug the timer + towel rail into the socket?

pdh, Dec 27, 7:49am
I have never seen a towel rail plugged into a normal socket so I am guessing you can't.
What you need is one of these.
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/arlec-heated-towel-rail-timer_p00304194
They are connected inside the hard wired plug.

fishb8, Dec 27, 9:18am
Thanks for that but, having read the instructions, the timer hasn't got the ability just to switch on for 1 hour.
I'm with Electric Kiwi and want to use my free 'hour of power', the same way I turn on other plug-in heaters using a timer.

amasser, Dec 27, 10:42am
x1
If you're looking to fit timers on your heated towel rails, that's a great idea to save some energy and money. Now, to answer your question - yes, you can change the hardwired connection to a socket and plug the timer and towel rail into it.

It's actually a common practice to do this for heated towel rails. The process is pretty simple, but if you're not familiar with electrical work, it might be a good idea to get a qualified electrician to do it for you.

Firstly, you need to turn off the power to the towel rail. This can be done at the circuit breaker or fuse box. Then, you need to remove the cover from the junction box that the towel rail is connected to. Inside the junction box, you'll find wires that are connected to the towel rail. You need to disconnect these wires, and then connect them to a plug and socket.

Once you've done that, you can plug the towel rail and timer into the socket. Now, when you want to use the towel rail, you just need to turn on the timer.

There are a few things to keep in mind when fitting a timer to a heated towel rail. Firstly, make sure the timer is rated for the same voltage and wattage as the towel rail. This information can usually be found on the towel rail itself.

Secondly, make sure the timer is installed in a safe and accessible location. You don't want to have to climb over the bathtub to reach the timer every time you want to turn the towel rail on or off.

Lastly, make sure you follow all safety guidelines and regulations when working with electricity. This includes turning off the power before starting work, using the correct tools and equipment, and following all manufacturer instructions.

In conclusion, changing your hardwired heated towel rails to a socket and fitting a timer is definitely doable. It's a great way to save energy and money, and it's a fairly simple process. Just remember to take all necessary safety precautions and get a professional electrician if you're not sure how to do it yourself.

tmenz, Dec 27, 11:18am
There are all sorts of rules about having a 3 pin socket in a bathroom - positioning being a main one. You can have a fixed cord outlet (PCU, permanent connection unit) in places (zones) where you can't have a 3 pin socket (GPO, general purpose outlet).
Someone clued up on the regs like 'johotech' may be along to clarify the possibilities!
Apart from anything else, the timer enclosure would have to comply with the appropriate waterproofing requirements.

elect70, Dec 27, 12:54pm
No socket allowed in bathrooms unless they are protected by an RCD can get single RCD sockets not cheap .

delshamic, Dec 27, 9:32pm
12 bucks at mega for rcd plug in

captaingraham, Dec 27, 10:22pm
Does not comply with rules. Must be hard wired.

timbo69, Dec 28, 6:22pm
DCS make a hard wired timer for $30 pretty easy to install and set up. for me it comes on at 75% for 4 hours twice a day - saves 75% of running costs and still achieves what I need from it. About a three month pay back for me(about $10 a month saving).

fishb8, Dec 29, 7:03am
I only want the timer to run for 1 hour, that's why I want to use a properly programmable timer

pauldw, Dec 29, 7:57am
I don't think running a heated towel rail for 1hr during your free power time would achieve anything. A damp towel wouldn't fully dry in that time.

nzjay, Dec 29, 5:17pm
1 hour will only give you a luke warm mouldy towel. Generally 4 hrs needed minimum.

fishb8, Dec 30, 6:15am
Never use towel rail for drying towels - outdoors for me.
No, it's just to heat the room.

lissie, Dec 30, 10:09am
Well use a heater then - you don’t use a towel rail to do that.

supernova2, Jan 19, 11:06am
For what it would achieve you might as well just leave the light on for an hour.