Painting Inside a Shower

rusty-bones, Aug 27, 7:06pm
Anyone successfully done or tried this? I see it can be done. I am freshening up the bathroom. It's looking fab with a coat of paint etc. I Don't want to spend any money with big cost's at the moment, but maybe in 5 years time looking at a completely new shower, but for now would love to paint it white and cover the yuck blue. Its probably that basic wall coating they had years ago, it's well sealed still and a white plastic base.

budgel, Aug 27, 7:36pm
It can be done, clean every bit of soap scum off with something like shower witch, Scuff it with new scotchbrite pads,then wipe down with some prepsol from Supercheap or Repco and apply a smooth surface sealer/primer. Ideally a two pot spray job would give best results, but as it is a short/medium term attempt, I would probably use a couple of coats of a quality water based enamel applied with a small roller. It might pay to get advice from a good paint shop on what they recommend as the best paint.
I have seen this done over fibro in a bach. It lasted longer than anyone expected, but they were careful not to use abrasives when cleaning it.

Good luck!

rusty-bones, Aug 27, 8:37pm
Thanks budgel. That's pretty much what I read also. I think you are right about the cleaning products after painted too.

lythande1, Aug 28, 7:27am
Seen it done with the correct paint, also seen the results after a while.
So if it's a short term fix, OK, long term, forget it.

supernova2, Aug 28, 4:59pm
The biggest issue is you have to get rid of all the old soap, body fats etc etc that will be well stuck to the shower walls. Other than that painting works well as long as it's looked after. Best option is a 2 pot spray job.

trade4us2, Oct 1, 7:42am
If you are going to spray paint in a confined space, you'd need some kind of mask and ventilation. I hope people will not ignore my advice as they often do.