Power outages in winter

eljayv, Apr 14, 9:18am
So after this last week of storms wondering how to be more prepared for winter power cuts as far as cooking goes. Have considered a small butane camp cooker but don’t know how safe they are indoors. So any ideas?

ryanm2, Apr 14, 9:22am
They are fine indoors , just leave a window open when cooking.

jan2242, Apr 14, 9:38am
I used mine for 3 months when I was waiting for a new stove.

trade4us2, Apr 14, 12:10pm
Definitely have a small camp cooker. We ended up putting it on top of our stove as it was too wet and windy outside.
Get a few LED torches from the $2 shop or Look Sharp, and a bunch of alkaline AA batteries. Do not use candles as they are a fire risk.

If you have a freezer, consider getting an inverter that you can connect to your car battery. Mine will also run lights, phone, modem, computer and TV.
Consider getting a 4 stroke generator that will power your freezer. My 2500watt generator cost only about $350. The meat in your freezer and your neighbour's freezer might cost more than that. Your neighbour won't complain about the noise of the generator if you run a cable over the fence for them.
If you have a generator, when not being used, empty out the petrol into your car and fill a petrol container every few months so the petrol doesn't get stale.

annies3, Apr 14, 12:50pm
We are well set up for power failures having a woodburner cooker which we use alongside a gas stove, we also have a generator.

lythande1, Apr 14, 5:00pm
I wouldn't. Woodburner is number one, but then you may be like me and can't afford it and have nowhere to put one anyway.
We were going to get sons gas BBQ. which would be in the garage with doors open.

brightlights60, Apr 14, 7:07pm
During the earthquakes we kind of learned what the emergency kit needed in case the power went out. Obviously torches, we found the headlight ones the best, and keep one in each top bedside draw. Obviously candles or more torches and a really good supply of batteries. 20L containers of water, refill every 3-6 months and put a few drops of bleach in them. We have the caravan for cooking, but also the BBQ. We also have a small camping BBQ which is great. We have kept our logburner as it was a godsend during the earthquakes when the power went off.

biggles45, Apr 14, 7:32pm
We have old fashioned oil lamps, they give enough light to read during the evening and to see for cooking etc. Gas hob for cooking and an old fashioned whistling kettle to boil water for coffees. We are on gas heating, but it needs power to ignite. But the house is fully insulated, double glazing in most rooms so it stays reasonably warm for a long time. we have heaps of blankets if it gets too cold! Hate wood burners normally but we did keep the one in our last house in case of power cuts, never needed to use it though!

gabbysnana, Apr 14, 8:00pm
hah ha 7 years on for me, new stove still in its box with little camp cooker ontop ( little can one) could never get an electrician to come for a small job, wait till you have all the jobs ready. Gave up. As it is I have changed my whole kitchen wants.

mouse265, Nov 26, 11:06am
we have a gas stve from a caravan complete with a grill two rings and an oven also a portable gas heater and torches as we lose power on a regular basis so its a breeze here