Making a raised garden form pallets

jan2242, Oct 28, 10:33am
Is there anything that can be used to prolong the life of the wood? I don't want it rotting away in a hurry.

mojo49, Oct 28, 11:04am
Line the inside with black plastic. Sit the bottom on something like small pavers set just above the ground so the timber stays reasonably dry. Paint the outsides.

jan2242, Oct 28, 11:11am
Black plastic yes, but I want it set into the ground as it will be among a paved and pebbled area. What if I wrapped the timber going underground in plastic? Or would that taint the soil.

smallwoods, Oct 28, 3:02pm
Sad to say, but whatever you do with the plastic won't matter.
Most pallets are made from industrial lumber (centre wood), has no "guts"
Wrapping in plastic will enhance the rot as the sweat will build up.
Timber breathes even after cutting, moisture travels in and out its entire life.
This includes timber housing, doors squeak in winter and don't in summer?

smallwoods, Oct 28, 3:06pm
Plastic won't taint the soil and most pallets are treatment free.
We do some h3 or h4 pallets, but by far the most are only heat treated for export.
Be careful of what the pallets have been carrying, some will be chemicals.

colin433, Oct 28, 3:20pm
I'd say you're in for a disappointment if you are going to put the wood in the ground.
A sheet of ply (treated) will last you for several years, and if your hardware shop is like ours, they'll cut it to the sizes you want.
We've made several, 30cm high, in varying lengths. Just the four side, noneed for a bottom if it's going in/on the ground.
using the rubbish timber of pallets will only result in disappointment

cleggyboy, Oct 28, 3:44pm
Might last a bit longer using a coat of metalex or similar product.
I built a fence out of untreated timber and it was still standing 13 yrs later when I sold the home.

jan2242, Oct 28, 4:32pm
Sadly have no hardware shop near me, but will see if anyone I know has some ply they don't need - great idea, thanks

kacy5, Oct 28, 8:55pm
Ours lasted over 20 years with nothing touching the ground and oiled with waste diesel oil. I believe some of the fence is still standing, sold the place 11 years ago.

smallwoods, Oct 28, 9:38pm
What were the railings made from.
Timber rots where water will sit.
Even h3 palings and rails will rot where the water sits, if wet for long periods.

mojo49, Oct 28, 10:12pm
Any untreated timber will rot quickly. Any treatment you add to it like metalex is just as toxic as treating the timber to H3 or even H4 level so you gain nothing in terms of environmental - health issues.

jan2242, Oct 29, 10:06am
Have a possible source of left over kwila decking - that will do the job for now.

colin433, Feb 24, 5:04pm
that's a good idea.
BTW, we screwed ours together using fence battens cut to length in the corners to give it stability. If you use longish lengths of kwila you'll need to brace it along the length ever so often, so the timber does move and leave gaps for the soil to fall through. AND it will look better all round if you do. Twisted sides to anything is unsightly.
Mrs C