Running an underground electrical cable to garage

Page 2 / 2
tweake, Mar 28, 10:46pm
as you can see by the conflicting posts above you really need a sparky to come and do the design work.
then you can do the bulk of the work putting cables in etc and then sparky can do the connections and testing.
afaik home owners are not allowed to do fuse board work.

also as above would be a good idea to put some cat5 in. either for network or phone line.

nzjay, Mar 28, 11:16pm
Do it properly. Submain to the Main Switchboard, Subboard in the garage, or you will curse in the future when you get some nuisance tripping of the RCD, or overloading of the powerpoint circuit you are looping off in the future.
I'm afraid I'm old school and was taught . do it properly, don't take shortcuts.

t_naki, Mar 29, 1:12am
F you run the cables yourself then you will be needing an inspector not a electrician. You are correct that you are not allowed to do your own switchboard work or access any live parts of the installation.

The phone and network cable is a great idea!

briantamaki-god, Mar 31, 8:44am
ive just had this done

he ran 6mm twin and earth in one 25mm hd conduit in a trench 600 deep
laid a h4 ground treated timber over it and laid another conduit with telephone sky cable wire for a sensor to expand house alarm to cover garage also a cctv cable

ghafmond, Apr 12, 4:47am
thank you all for your help on this :), next stage is phone, and computer wiring

fordcrzy, Apr 14, 8:31am
If you read the regs then technically you dont need a sub board for a small install in a garage such as a couple of lights and power points.but all the wiring must be 2.5mm minimum

russ18, Apr 14, 8:42am
First part's true but wiring does not necessarily have to stay the same size, could use 1.0mm for the lighting.

tiny15, Apr 14, 9:39am
just make sure you use the correct sized circuit breaker for the 1.0mm wiring (probably 6 amp) & not the size circuit breaker you would normally use for 2.5mm(probably 16amp). or you could run 2 separate cables back to the house board & install 2 circuit breakers

russ18, Apr 14, 7:14pm
No, you do not necessarily have to provide overload protection if a circuit cannot be overloaded e.g a couple of batten holders, the mcb sized for the larger cable will still provide short circuit protection. Although most sparkies wont use this method it can be compliant.

fordcrzy, Feb 4, 6:03pm
I would NEVER mix and match wiring size on one breaker. thats why i said use 2.5 everywhere. you also used to have to use 20a light switch but all the new ones are 20a now anyway