Peonis, where can I buy the actual plants from?

kaituna, Dec 2, 9:06am
My wife is nagging me incessantly about getting some. Any ideas in the Hamilton area?

woody89, Dec 2, 9:12am
Wrong time of year at the moment. They're bought as bulbs, in the dormant phase & emerge in spring. Most garden centres will stock them, probably in the autumn. Not the easiest plants to grow & successfully flower, they tend to do better in colder parts of the country, that said some manage it in Hamilton- my Nana was justifiably proud of hers.

nonumbers, Dec 2, 5:19pm
They aren't cheap either - expect $30/40 each! I bought 2 from a Hamilton nursery and neither have grown much while another from a different source has just the one big blowsy flower.

gaimon, Dec 2, 11:26pm
They are tubers. More like a dahlia. Very easy to grow. I planted some that had been left in rubble. garden bulldozed to make way for a drive. I washed them and planted them and they have never looked back. That was in the middle of January.

gram, Dec 3, 1:03am

woody89, Dec 3, 1:23am
You are in the south island? Not so easy in Waikato, NI where op is lol.

brightlights60, Dec 3, 4:20am
Mrs B here. There are a couple of places that sell them further south from Christchurch, I bought lovely ones from the side of the road after an Easter Holiday down South. I would wait till early Autumn, use google and you will find them.

frank398, Dec 4, 5:37am
Try Mitre 10.We have them at ours in full bloom at the moment.

harrislucinda, Dec 5, 3:27am
there is a place I chch on Buchanans rd that sell have to wait until Autumn now

racheal77, Dec 7, 5:26am
I had seen them in Palmers Greenwood St in Hamilton about three months ago, I also live in Hamilton and planted two about four years ago - they haven't done a whole lot just a few leaves every year. My aunty lives in Hamilton and hers had buds this year but they never opened.

racheal77, Dec 7, 5:28am
I would save your money and buy her a bunch from Paknsave Mill St, have seen bunches of 4 blooms for $9.99

jano8, Dec 7, 7:27am
crikey was in geraldine area last week and lots of big beautiful, gorgeous bunches around for just $5 ! they thrive down there, but alas don't grow well at all up north, to warm, i doubt its even worth the effort planting them in Hamilton.

racheal77, Dec 10, 10:22pm
$9.99 is cheap! I have seen them in New World for $14.99 for three blooms. No idea what the florists charge in the North Island

piquant, Dec 10, 10:28pm
Racheal77. It is possible you have planted them too deeply if you are only getting foliage. The crown needs to be literally, just below the surface. The other trick you could try is to put several bucketfuls of ice over them in winter. to give them the chill they need. It may assist, but I too - agree with others - you are getting a bit too far north to grow them successfully. They absolutely must have that chilling in winter.

vickyh1, Dec 11, 5:35am
I've seen them for $10 per bloom at the supermarket here in Auckland. Probably even more from a florist.

I always see them and think I'll get some, until I see the "each" after the price!

piquant, Dec 11, 7:14am
Currently $2 a head at our Farmers Market - Last week 6 for $10. Lots of growers round here though. Neighbour grows them - sends most of them to Auckland. If there's enough of you that want them, buy a box and share them out. I think there are 50 - 60 blooms a box

madzwhippet, Dec 11, 8:47am
Over at Geraldine's Annual Arts and Plants a couple of weeks ago; our son bought several more to add to his large collection. they can be rather expensive if you get into the tuber and Tree Peony crosses. $100 each is nothing for the really classy ones. and yes planting too deep will spoil any hopes of flowers off the tuber types. of course you can plant them now if you buy plants that have been grown in black grow-bags.

kiwisall, Dec 11, 8:22pm

kiwisall, Jul 9, 7:57am