Gardeners - hedge help needed.

melagray, Oct 2, 8:37am
I planted the first line of Camellia's along here about 6 years ago and they really struggled & I lost some. I had one extra that I put in the back yard and it is now about 5 times the size of the surviving trees along the front fence.
A couple of years ago I put in a line of Photinia between the surviving camellias and they are doing well for most of the way but don't seem to like being near the Eucalyptus tree either. I recently dug up and moved the tiny stunted survivors from under the tree and it was like they'd been planted a month ago rather than 3 years ago.
There are 2 small Bottle Brushes still under the gum tree and they're doing slightly better than the Camellias & RR's did but not thriving.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the bare area seen in this photo? You can see the hedge is doing ok and then vanishes, lol. It's for privacy so I don't want a huge gap under the tree.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/415824465.jpg

melagray, Oct 2, 8:41am

shanreagh, Oct 2, 8:58am
As I understand it Camellias like acid soil best and the soil at front may not suit them but may suit the Photinias. The tree in the back garden may be planted in soil more to its liking ie acidic.

busybee72, Sep 13, 4:12pm
A gum that size will suck the life out of anything. Best option for privacy is a structure in this case. Fence or screen.