Gardeners opinions please. I read Dr Lyall Watsons

white_elephant, Feb 26, 7:01pm
Supernature in the 70s and lots of it has stayed with me. Anyway I was walking around the area I live in and came across a garden that was obviously once loved and now is let to young non gardeners by the look of things. Outside the fence line was a long row of small bushes desperate for water, I said to the person I was walking with I should go and ask the tenents to get the hose out, she said you can't do that, they will think you are mad. Anyway I almost feel I've let those plants down. Anyone else ever feel like this!

cantabman1, Feb 26, 7:36pm
Oh yes. Our previous next door neighbours were gardeners who had nice roses , a vege patch, and mown lawns.
The new owner is a younger girl with 4 other flatmates helping her pay the morgage. The 'Lawns'-huh] get mown about every 3 months. The flower bed has weeds growing through the tops, and the driveway has oil stains, and racetrack groves at the speed of entry and exits.

jills3, Feb 26, 7:46pm
I also feel for plants in pots or whatever needing a drink of water.Amazing the number of shops that put permanent troughs outside their shops undercover but never think to give the plants a drink.I would water these plants but also dont feel right going in and asking for a bucket of water.

scout_6001, Feb 26, 7:51pm
My inlaws were avid gardeners, and had their quarter acre section looking beautiful with mature trees, scrubs, flower beds and a vegetable garden.it took over 50 years to get it looking the way they wanted it. They have since passed away.I noticed the other day their section has been subdivided, everything ripped out to make room for a new dwelling on a handkerchief size plot.It just seems so sad that all of the care put into it by the previous owners has gone.I know it is progress, a money making venture, but I still find it sad that so many years can be wiped out by a few minutes work with a digger.

reggienz, Feb 26, 8:21pm
The previous owner of our supermarket had the plant display out in the hot sun with out water or care. One day my wife got him to come outside and asked him what caught his eye most. He didn't notice the dead or dying plants, Since then he had some one tend to them and till he sold the franchise, theplants were much better cared for. New owners are much better .

stevee6, Mar 26, 4:42pm
Certainly find myself swiping my water bottle over dessicated plants in pots, thinking why did someone plant those there! With neglected or ruined gardens, I now think they were there for the time they were loved and cherished, not for forever. Plants aren't eternal, so enjoy them and their surroundings, and remember them when they're gone. A bit like people, I guess.