Gardeners - a question please.

chris160179, Feb 19, 5:22am
My husband and I do not have green thumbs, so need something that will look nice and not need us to help it grow.

We need something for an area under our stairs that is also covered by oriental fencing, so a very shaded area.I want something that will fill in the area, so that the weeds can no longer grow, but will look good and need minimal maitenance.Am thinking along the lines of a bush that can easily be cut back as it grows through.Hebe's or similar!We've had them before but in full sun, so not sure how they would go in a very shaded area.

And we don't have a very big budget, so want something that provides alot of coverage.

Suggestions please.Thanks!

spiritofgonzo, Feb 19, 5:22am
ferns

chris160179, Feb 19, 5:30am
It doesn't get wet under there, so ferns probably wouldn't work.

Would prefer a nice big bush that would fill it in.

spiritofgonzo, Feb 19, 6:07am
You'd be surprised at what little water most domestic ferns need.Although if it's really that dry, then you'll have trouble growing anything, and perhaps you'd be better with some riverstones and a dry garden

dibble35, Feb 19, 6:18am
Kawakawa - macropiper loves the shade, gets to about 2-3 m but you can keep it trimmed.Ligularia reniformis - tractor seat plant gets to about 1m and very low maintenance, you will however need to water them if it is quite dry under there,plant then give them a very good water and weedmat and mulch with postpeelings/bark/pebbles in a good thick layer that will help keep the soil damper for longer, you will be able to go longer between waterings.

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 19, 7:56am
The ligularias are addictive. Amazing plants. They look really good with hostas.

kelseyb, Feb 22, 8:00am
Clivias like dry shade, look amazing mass planted, quickly bulk up and have beautiful flowers.

rjmidget, Feb 23, 12:28am
Choisya do well in dry shade and produce attractive white flowers and a beautiful scent. Their common name is orange blossom and a single plant is around the $10 mark. 1x1.5m. Very good plant for novices :) and it trims well.

stevee6, Mar 19, 12:18pm
As a groundcover, bugle or violets do very well, and their water needs are minimal once established.