Question for Balclutha/Kaitangata gardeners

caprio1, Jan 27, 5:09am
Moving to Kaitangata soon from NI. What vegetables and fruit trees (prefer dwarf varieties) grow best in the local climate! Is the soil any good!

thedoth, Jan 27, 8:17am
Its still new zealand. Just be abit cooler there. No beach volleyball competitions. Root veges like it colder with maybe a frost to sweeten them. You will soon see what the neighbours are growing and be enjoying your new garden.

jezabeel, Jan 27, 9:25am
KAITANGATA god help you!

lythande1, Jan 27, 7:37pm
A bit cooler.huh. Really short growing season is the main problem. You will NEED a glasshouse, if it hasn't got one, get one.
Fruit, well, think Central Otago fruit.
Veges, forget kumara, passionfruit, limes anything subtropical.
The rest, you have to get your timing right, after the late frosts, and they can be really late.and before the start of the next frosts, which can be really early.
We had issues with that, didn't have a glasshouse, had snow 5th November once. Frosts come back march. So try ripening tomatoes for instance, we'd be lucky. Gave up and grew them under lights in the end. Indoors.

puresteam, Jan 27, 11:44pm
I have lived inKaitangata all my life and brought up three wonderful children to be proud of . I know what Milton is like and my it leaves a lot to the imagination. Good luck caprio1

carolyn57, Jan 28, 4:40am
KAI RULZ!

rainrain1, Jan 28, 5:49am
I am not so good on tree knowledge, butyou can grow apple trees, plums.
Veges potatos carrotspeasbeanscauliflowerbeetrootturnipparsnipgarlic silverbeet.brussell sprouts. spinachlettuce to name but a few.all grow really well.you will need a glasshouse for your tomatoes,
Some you can leave in the ground over thewinter months eg parsnip carrots.come down and grow good

rainrain1, Jan 28, 5:59am
central otago climate is very different from Kai/Clutha, therefore a lot of the fruit trees don't do well in the cooler more coastal areas

jezabeel, Feb 13, 12:49pm
HAHAHA good luck alrite.
Glad to hear the kids passed the drug test for the freezer good work LOL