Help! Gardeners hacked my hibiscus!

mooncake1, Jan 31, 7:28am
Hi there, I got some gardeners in to do a clean up of my jungle of a garden but I was not able to meet them beforehand and let them know about my rose and magnificent hibiscus plant that were living happily amongst all the weeds (this is because they were so booked up and only able to come on a day when I was working).

Anyways, much to my horror, my amazing hibiscus which produces almost fluorescent pink flowers was hacked to the ground, with its main branches bent and buried under heaps of the mulched up crap.

This is maybe a long shot, but. is there any way the hibiscus might somehow miraculously rise again from the almost dead!

Please help!

nellbee, Jan 31, 8:16am
They are quite resilient - but what a damned thing to do! They must have been from the 'slash and burn' school of gardening.

deathrockboy, Jan 31, 8:24am
You just have to wait and see. Maybe it'll re-shoot!
I don't think there is much you can do to help it, other than keep the weeds away, keep it wateredand wait.

mooncake1, Jan 31, 8:25am
Thanks Nellbee. Yeah I couldn't believe it :-(

I am going to get some worm wee and feed it on that. Worm wee has given me miraculous results with my Nikau, surely it will nurse my favourite hibiscus back from the dead.

breness, Jan 31, 8:50am
They actually look like leaf shoots taking away on those stems.
Have you got a pic of your Hibiscus in flower please. Would love to see it.

tehenga288, Jan 31, 9:19am
With any luck it will come back bigger and better than ever. Same thing happened to me while I was at work - nearly died when I came home and he had dug out my strelitzia too ( made him come back and replant it )
6 mths later the hibiscus was thriving. I'd give it a bucket of water every couple of days in this hot weather an you'll soon see new shoots. Don't over water though - they don't like wet feet.

breness, Jan 31, 10:08am
Gorgeous. Thanks for that.
Too cold for hibiscus here in the South Waikato. We get massive frosts.
Sorry I can't name it for you

mooncake1, Jan 31, 10:19am
Thanks for your encouragement all the same :-) Those photos don't do it justice to be honest. Wish I could find the other ones I took.

I'm not much of a gardener but the blooms on that particular plant are so spectacular they take my breath away!

I am hopeful it will come back!

lythande1, Jan 31, 6:16pm
Kept hacking at mine. IT didn't help so eventually I had to cut it down completely.
Then it kept sprouting, so I had to keep pulling the shoots off the stump until finally it gave up.
So, yours will come back.

mooncake1, Jan 31, 6:49pm
Yay! Thanks :-)

Should I remove the two bent branches and let it start from the stump again, do you think! I'm concerned if I leave the bent branches on it that it will grow messily or hinder its growth but am afraid to hack them off in case I kill the poor plant completely.

Opinions welcomed.

breness, Jan 31, 10:56pm
How about trying to cut some off and try again. Where those shoots are cut about 9 inches below. Dip in honey and plant in sand and potting soil mixed. Keep damp but not wet and put in a warm shady place and watch for the results.
It's worth the try.
Good luck

wheelz, Feb 1, 2:23am
I would be loathe to cut off the branches, unless they are damaged, and then only cut to just below the damaged part. It can be propped or staked more upright. Until you have a lot more new leafy growth coming away. Especially if it is a new hybrid type, they are not as robust.

coralsnake, Feb 1, 6:08am
It should regrow.Used to have many growing in pots when living on the Gulf Coast in Texas.Sometimes when I'd be out of State, the oh would forget to cover during one of handful of frosts which resulted in dieback.
I'd just leave them then in early spring, start feeding them.
When it does regrow, take a handful of 'sticks' off and bundle into a jar of water.You should get a good number root.
Found this:
http://www.najagarden.co.nz/index.php!option=com_content&view=article&id=136%3Agrowing-hibiscus&catid=34&Itemid=74

mooncake1, Feb 1, 7:03am
Thank you Coralsnake and others! I am feeling much more hopeful now!

mooncake1, Mar 7, 5:47pm
Yay - thanks people - just wanted to let you know it looks like my hibiscus is indeed coming back to the land of the living!

Breness, you were right - they were leaf shoots - looking green and forming little leaves now!