Cancer alert for gardeners

hammerman1, Mar 29, 10:41am

wasgonna, Mar 29, 6:54pm
And these experts say "probable human carcinogen". It either IS or NOT but they don't know. More experts please.

lythande1, Mar 29, 7:34pm
Roundup is useless anyway.

ira78, Mar 29, 7:56pm
OMG, evil chemicals something something Monsanto! I'll just use glyphosate instead.

tel4, Mar 29, 8:19pm
Have to be a bit pragmatic about some of these things. The original article also says Dr Oliver Jones, from RMIT University, said: ???This sounds scary and IARC evaluations are usually very good, but to me the evidence appears a bit thin.??

dastedly, Mar 30, 7:04am
Glyphosate is Roundup

ira78, Mar 30, 7:05pm
No. Really? I never knew.
(Is my sarcasm obvious enough for you to get it this time around?) :P

maclad, Mar 31, 3:24am
Please forgive me if I'm wrong. So often I am but my understanding is that Roundup is glyphosphate with a surfactant added but glyphosphate does not have a surfactant added. It is the addition of the surfactant which increases the dangers of using Roundup. I read an article re this a few years ago and it stated the combination of the two made the chemical more dangerous.

maclad, Mar 31, 3:26am
As far as I know glyphosphate is not Roundup, just one part of the Roundup mix

ira78, Apr 2, 3:12am
Glyphosate is the active ingredient in roundup. A lot, if not most, of the other brands of herbicide that include glyphosate also include a surfactant. Even a bit of dish soap works passably as a ghetto surfactant.

mkbooks, Feb 14, 3:10pm
When Roundup first came out, the salesmen were told (by the yank chemical cos) that it was so safe that they could DRINK it + some did to sell the stuff to farmers/growers. It was used wholesale in the USA on "commercial truck farms"-after about 10 years they started getting abnormal plant growth