Tenants put cooking oil/fats down gully drian!

happymullen, Oct 26, 5:47pm
Hi there, tenants poured old cooking fat/oil into outside gully drain. I think its more of a soak hole, rather than connected to run off drainage system. What would you suggest to break down the gunk, or will natural processes take care of it. I'm thinking worms etc! I am worried its going to sit there forever and stink in the summer.

ro42, Oct 26, 5:55pm
Assuming you're not wanting to use nasty chemicals, lots of bicarb (baking soda) in HOT water, repeated, should do it.

happymullen, Oct 27, 3:29am
Cool ro42. What happens to the fat/oil? The cover grill is clear, and I have poked a stick down to the wet level, about 30 cms before it hits the gunk. And the gunk is about 10 cms deep.
Do you think the baking soda will help the fat break down?

shanreagh, Oct 27, 6:07am
I hope you have now added something to your standard tenancy agreement covering this. It is just ignorance about pouring fat down the sink. Revolting.

Also some tenants make a built in waste disposal unit where you have not supplied one. Stick all the rubbish from pots in the sink and get a knife and run it round and round the plug hole. Works until it gets out to the gully trap/soak hole.

If it is connected to drainage system then I would put a gloved hand in and retrieve the gunk. Then try Ro42 idea. Perhaps Ro42's idea might work on a soak hole to force it down in the soak pit. But sooner or later the soak pit will stop working efficiently.

beanies, Nov 1, 8:33am
Dishwashing liquid and hot water should do it. I think sunlight is the best for breaking down fats and oils.

planespotterhvn, Nov 1, 10:30pm
Any fats or oils dissolved with hot water will recoagulate once the water cools in any part of the waste, sewerage, or storm water system. That is how Fat Bergs form in city sewer systems in places like London. Prefereably never mix fats and water. Better to wait for it to cool, scrape out the solid fat into newspaper or paper towel wrap up and dispose into a rubbish bin. Small amounts remaining smeared to the sides of the frypan roasting tray should be wiped off by paper towel and the remaining grease can be dispersed by washing the pan in a detergent and hot water. Only dispose down a sewer, fats that are dissolved by detergents, otherwise they will cool and collect in the cold pipes further along and cause you big plumber drainlayer bills to unblock.

happymullen, Nov 2, 12:24am
Thanks for the comments. Seems like you can never cover every stupid eventuality in a tenancy agreement, who would have thought people would tip fats and cooking oils into outside soak holes! I wonder, would they do that on their own property or their mothers place?

amasser, Nov 3, 3:10am
Actually, common sense is not very common. Worked in a museum where classes made wax candles. Staff poured the dregs, while still liquid, down the sink. Plumber's bill covered about 1 1/2 DAYS' labour to clear the pipes, including removing the brick cladding, after many methods failed to shift it.
So, follow planespotterhvn's advice.

happymullen, Nov 3, 3:16am
Really, that's just such a crazy idiotic thing to do, your story wins! 10/10 for idiot things some people have done!

happymullen, Nov 3, 3:18am
Ooops, wasn't suggesting it was you in the story! Sorry!

tintop, Aug 10, 3:54pm
Get some vets disposable gloves ( they go right up to the armpit), and clear the stuff out.