Wiring a new Garage/workshop - what to add.

Page 1 / 2
daryl14, Sep 15, 9:43am
Just getting ready to have my 6M sq home workshop wired up by a registered sparky.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/410533636.jpg

I am thinking 3 to 4 double hot points down each side wall with LED tubes for lighting and an exterior sensor floodlight on the gable. the incomer run is about 20 metres total from my circuit board, mostly in my houses roof space. The rear wall is a fire wall so nothing going on that. Anything else I should think about?

tintop, Sep 15, 10:00am
I have a 5m long work bench with 4 double outlets.
Just enough for me.

4 other outlets on other walls.

youngwesty, Sep 15, 10:00am
15 amp socket for a welder, which can then take either a 15 amp or 10 amp plug in it.

daryl14, Sep 15, 10:08am
True, true. Might make 'em all 15's if the cost diff is negligible.

I have a big bench with a 10mm steel plate top. 3 metres by 850 wide so it can be a stretch to reach the wall behind. I like to fit a multi board at the front of it for quick access for most power tools.

johotech, Sep 15, 10:20am
Power point for garage door opener.

daryl14, Sep 15, 10:23am
This shed is at the rear of my house on my back lawn so not really fussed about an auto opener. Its so easy to open by hand anyway. Pull the lever and it pretty much opens by itself.

johotech, Sep 15, 10:32am
You don't want to do that. Firstly, the cost won't be negligible.

Secondly, for "maximum demand" calculations for the electrical installation, 15A sockets are included at 10A EACH. Compared to 10A for up to 20 x 10A points and 5A for 21-40 points.

EDIT - scratch that, it's 10A for "one or more".
So knock yourself out.

nzmax, Sep 15, 10:34am
side lighting of some sort for the bench. Nothing worse than leaning over the bench doing something fiddly and your casting a shadow from the overhead light, especially at night.

daryl14, Sep 15, 10:49am
Ok thanks johotech.

I have a big old welder which normally trips my cb's. I ran it recently off one of my garage power points, which is where the board is, through a good sized 20 metre extension no problems which actually surprised me. I don't know if it worked because of the closeness of the hot point to the board or if there are uprated circuits and sockets in my garage as fitted.

I wasn't really giving the welder a lot of work but when I tried using the extension out the bedroom window it definitely wouldn't handle it.

And yes that is a great idea too, nzmax.

jonners2013, Sep 15, 7:53pm
stick an external power point somewhere. then when you want to do something out in the backyard, you don't have to run an extension cord through an open window/door.

russ18, Sep 15, 8:00pm
Not that I get carried away or anything by my 8M x 4M workshop has 1 single, 13 double and 6 quadruple sockets, 6 fluoros and 9 downlights.
In addition to sockets around your garage for general use and some above any workbenches do you need any higher up e.g. I have one for a radio up on a shelf, one for drill press and light, one for charging wall hung cordless screwdriver, dustbuster etc.

kaylin, Sep 15, 8:46pm
This. Same thing with plumbing. Can never have too many taps.
We're buidling one too. I want to include USB ports as well. For phone charging, or music, or whatever the future may hold. I reckon lots of the new gadgets will come with a USB.

andrac63, Sep 15, 11:20pm
chuck a phone line in the trench

tigger8, Sep 16, 6:44am
wish I had done that, not worry thou I have a nice un-interrupted session in garage without

mrfxit, Sep 16, 7:03am
If you put a power socket at the front of the bench, make sure it's well shielded from liquid spills.
Probably slightly under AND angled downwards

tsjcf, Sep 16, 7:46am
What about an alarm system or adding the shed to the house alarm system.
Ethernet cable from router to shed for internet access.

daryl14, Sep 16, 7:47am
Yeah might do, Although I think these days a data cable might be more useful. Probably want to get an alarm sensor in there too. There are two separate penetrations in the slab for this and the power.

SNAP tsjcf !

rbd, Sep 16, 8:10am
Quite frankly phone lines, network cables and alarm cables have all been superseded by wireless systems. As long as you are close enough then Wifi does everything.

I no longer have a landline (only microsoft and mum ever called me on that line), my wifi reaches the whole section and my alarm sensor in the garage is wireless and 100% reliable over the last 8 years.

I ran some network cables through the house once and it was a waste of money as most have never been used as they were quickly superseded by wifi.

rbd, Sep 16, 8:13am
Consider location of sockets as mentioned above. Consider one either side of main door at easy to reach height for things you may use outside just in front of garage. Don't want the hassle of running extension cords past the junk just to plug things in.

sparkyz, Sep 16, 8:29am
Outside light above side door linked to gable sensor.

Fit twin or triple fluorescents, not singles.

Run Ethernet(Cat6), phone, alarm, smoke alarm, and a couple of spares. Better to have them and not use them, than wish you had them a few months later.

daryl14, Sep 16, 8:36am
Good ideas there man, house alarm already has a couple smoke alarms piggy backed on it.

Not so keen on a side sensor light as it is right outside my bedroom but within easy reach of the other patio lighting if I am heading out in the dark.

Have run two 25mm conduits, one for power one for others. So I guess I can't fit too much in. As long as I maintain a draw wire I guess anything can be added.

loud_37, Sep 16, 8:58am
I would still recommend to run at least 1 network cable, we will only use WiFi for mobile devices and where running cables would be to expensive. You can't match speeds and reliability over cable. we run all TV, Music across network cable to every room in the house and shed we couldn't do this with wireless.

briantamaki-god, Sep 16, 4:07pm
cctv camera cable

survivalkiwi, Sep 16, 6:38pm
Just get the basics put in first and then get the sparky back after a while when you know how you are really using your shed. What you think you need now will change when you start using the shed.

russ18, Sep 16, 7:19pm
Did you get some heavy duty conduit?