Bathroom help-can we use water base paint?!

jessica21_nz, Jun 25, 4:40am
Ive just been told by my parents we cant use waterbase paint. we started using this stuff-http://www.mitre10.co.nz-
/shop/paint_decorating/prepara-
tion_coats/accent_primer_seale-
r_undercoat_10_litre_white_183-
098/

We were told to use it but my parents strongly said it will start pealing off etc because of steamy showers. is this right or wrong?

johotech, Jun 25, 6:59am
Wrong.

bexter2, Jun 25, 8:02am
you bought a fair bit for a bathroom, is it new? of course you can use a waterbased paint, but it must be a water based enamel such as resene lustacryl

nzmax, Jun 25, 9:45am
Not sure where you got your information, but when using water based paint in a bathroom, it certainly does not have to be a water based enamel. Standard water base paints have been, and are still used in all wet areas, in fact its been used for the last 40 years with no issue, long before the invention of water based enamels. There is no regulation stating it must be used. Water based enamels, of course, will be harder wearing and stand up to a bit more cleaning than a standard water based paint, which is the advantage. A disadvantage for both types, is that if its not left to "cure" for at least 3-4 days before it gets moisture on it, you will find that it will develop that wet, moisture running down the wall look, which cant be removed. The cause is the additives in the paint leaching out.

lythande1, Jun 25, 8:05pm
I used Zinsser anti-mould water based paint in my bathroom.
Brilliant stuff, there was an argument with the painter who did the ceiling for me - he wanted to use his "best" paint and I insisted on mine. this before he came out.
When he arrived he saw my paint and I saw his - we both had the Zinsser. LOL.

spikeredmires, Jun 25, 8:18pm
For the bathroom you need to use a good paint. Speak to resenne they have a paint specifically for bathrooms. I've used it on 3 houses i've renovated and never had mould. Its a great paint to wipe down and is hard to mark.

bexter2, Jun 26, 6:00am
What a cowboy! How can you come on a forum like this and tell people that a product like resene sonyx or Hi-glo can be used in a bathroom. this info is NOT recommended by resene and you should take the time to look at their website or ring their technical line and ask before making a statement like that. Dulux also do NOT recommend a standard waterbased paint for bathrooms, Aquanamel will be specified.

If you are still using standard waterbased paint in bathrooms you should not be painting and no body should employ you. Because people like me have to go around and fix paint jobs like yours.

mtbotrev, Jun 26, 6:57am
Hi. do u agree or disagree with the comment to wait 3-4 days before using bathroom. I will be using dulux wash n wear Kitchen and bathroom. Problem if I only have one shower!

nzmax, Jun 26, 7:01am
I am not a painter, I am a DIYer with 20+ years experience. I painted the bathroom at my last property (owned for 14 years) the first time in 1998 when I moved in with a standard water based paint as recommended by Dulux. Resene also recommended their equivalent. Neither had a specific bathroom paint. Other than the usual wear and tear of the walls, I had no issue with paint failure and recoated in 2007 purely for cosmetic updating purposes, and when sold in 2011, was still in good condition. I had the same experience with any previous bathroom also. At that time, as you will be well aware of, acrylic enamels were very new to the market. People that didn't want to use a full enamel paint, had little choice but to use a water base acrylic paint before the release of acrylic enamels.

I was told by an elderly painter years ago, most paint failures are due to either poor or no preparation, or using incompatible top coats over the existing base without sanding or sealing with an appropriate sealer/undercoat first.

iluvmuse, Jun 26, 7:08am
They also recommend Wash and Wear Kitchen and Bathroom, i.e. not an enamel.

johotech, Jun 26, 7:33am
That also happens with professional painters, when the customer wants the cheapest possible price.

sooby, Jun 26, 7:55am
We used water based aquanamel in our wet areas close to 5 years ago and have had no issues.

Not a fan of cleaning up oil based paints personally, and have found aquanamel to be hard wearing enough for us.

Just my 2c

bexter2, Jun 27, 9:54am
I fully agree with the comment, I would go further and say try and leave it for longer if possible, and when you do, wipe the walls with a dry cloth to stop any moisture running down the walls. I worked for dulux in aussie, and they would recommend their WnW kitchen and bathroom as it is designed for bathrooms. if you only have one shower then you may want to leave the door and window open whilst bathing to allow steam to escape. there is a difference between dry and cured paint, the paint will be dry within an hour but could take up to 2 weeks to cure

pestri, Jun 27, 9:28pm
My bath has been recoated with an acrylic. 4 years ago and still primo.

jonners2013, Jun 27, 9:37pm
you should only use chalkboard paint in a bathroom. that way you can write notes on your walls.

ayjay1, Jun 27, 10:01pm
Same experience here. I built my house 16yrs ago and used the same Resene low sheen throught out. We keep the bathrooms well ventilated and we have had no problems with it.
Good ventilation in bathrooms is very important for good paint life.

jittitoria, Jun 29, 8:31am
Gotta make sure what you are painting over is compatible with what you are adding on top. I've seen peeling on bathroom walls before and it happened when water based paints were painted on top of oil based. Disaster! All the best!

tomber, Jul 13, 3:29am
Can I use aqua enamel over some very old oil based bathroom paint? Tin says yes its good and we sanded it well. Bit worried by above post though. would use oil but the fumes are a problem.

skin1235, Nov 24, 1:50pm
Accent is Mega's own brand, and is as good as you can get, it will certainly do all you want, observe the bucket suggestions, and leave it at least 3 days or more before using the bathroom for bath or shower duties
that same Accent manages to stand up to outdoor weather for 15 ys plus, it won't fail before you decide to repaint a different colour