Renovate bathroom - Shop or Builders ?

digmen1, Jun 28, 6:52pm
I am planning to renovate my bathroom.

Is it cheaper to go to a bathroom showroom and let them do the whole lot - supply, build and install.

Or is it cheaper to buy what you want from say Mitre ten or Zip and then get tradesmen in to do the work?

lythande1, Jun 28, 8:34pm
Shops don't install. Bathroom renovators still use plumbers etc. on contract usually.

Better I think to go with the first option unless you know what you are doing, my husband frequently saw people who had bought products, asked for the install only for it to be the wrong thing or unsuitable etc.

budgel, Jun 28, 9:04pm
It will be cheaper to have your own tradesman install it. Having a bathroom centre manage it is just introducing another profit margin in the whole process.
In line with the advice above, consult your builder at the planning stage.

lissie, Jun 28, 10:37pm
Yeah a lot of the bathroom showrooms do nothing but supply. I like transparent pricing - so am going with a builder who has a PC sum for things like appliances. I've also found that you can often get a better deal negotiating direct as the consumer than letting your plumber or builder buy on your behalf. Obviously you need to do your homework and buy the right thing!

stampy5, Jun 29, 1:36am
I got my shower, vanity, mixer, taps e.t.c , laundry tub and toilet through Carters in Tauranga. Excellent to deal with and price after negotiation was great. Had my own builder and plumber install. I did want to go with Englefield and Methven though which is never going to be the cheapest option.

brightlights60, Jun 29, 9:32am
The cheapest option is to draw up exactly what you want, shop around for the bits (everything, vanity, loo, bath, shower unit, tiles/flooring, taps, traps etc) then use word of mouth and employ your own tradesmen. Up a step, get a builder in, get a quote, let him "manage" the job. Up another step, get a bathroom outfit to draw it up, manage and subcontract their own tradies.

digmen1, Dec 4, 1:11am
Thanks some good suggestions here.
Looks like bathroom companies are the dearest, but easiest.