Builders querie

lilyfield, Aug 31, 10:26am
My lounge has been built on to. A beam has been fitted to sport the new addition,
. I want to shift my light fitting. Is there a rule how far from the new beam are the battons to screw flight fitting into? Is this the same like in wall- 600mm?
I do not trust myself to find battons by simply knocking on the ceiling.

Thanks for info

captaingraham, Aug 31, 10:33am
I do not trust myself to find battons by simply knocking on the ceiling. Do you trust yourself to shag around with the electrical works? Battens would normally be at 400mm or 600mm centres, but, where will you start from? The wall. The beam. ?

lilyfield, Aug 31, 10:56am
I do have an electrician to fit the lamp, but would like to decide myself where it should hang.no idea where one measures up from, beam or wall?

daryl14, Aug 31, 11:02am
It can hang wherever you want. it is very easy to add a little nog in the ceiling to support a light fitting. Or you can get a stud finder from bunnings for like 20 bucks to help find the current location of the battens.

rojill, Aug 31, 11:44am
Talk to your sparky. Fit a 230 v LED . The LED and its fitting will fit into a hole in the ceiling - no need to fit onto a nog as these fitting are very light in weight. Also no heat to speak of, just make sure you follow the manufacturers advice for installation clearances ( if there are any relative to the light you use ). CREE are a good brand of LED lights.

differentthings, Aug 31, 7:41pm
Ceiling battens should be at max 400mm otherwise the gib will start to sag. They in turn are fitted to your main support beams.

captaingraham, Aug 31, 8:12pm
13mm gib, 600mm batten centres.

lilyfield, Aug 31, 8:35pm
thank you, this is the info I needed,My electrician is a female viisitor from Austria, different building codes there.

russ18, Aug 31, 8:41pm
Different electrical regs & standards too, make sure she has a current NZ electrical practising licence.

pauldw, Aug 31, 8:58pm
Won't the electrician have to be on the wiring side of the ceiling? Why guess where the batten is when she will see it?

pauldw, Oct 13, 5:41pm
Faster but not cheaper to marry or adopt her :-)