Bathroom tiling

viv130, Apr 4, 3:50am
Floor tiles for bathroom, gloss or flat? They will be a darker shade. Also grout sealer, is it effective? Thanks

sanders4, Apr 4, 4:34am
The more gloss the more slip with water, always check by pouring some water on a tile then rub your shoe on it.Grout sealer is normally used in tough areas such as around a toilet pan but it can be used anywhere if you have the time!

scarlettnz, Apr 4, 4:55am
We have flat and I really like them. However do give some thought to the colour. We choose a really light coloured tile as that matched best with the wood in the bathroom. Only problem is I have dark hair and lots of it and it really shows up against the light tiles!

blairhs, Apr 4, 6:17am
Our neighbours did their bathroom with gloss tiles and really regret it, very hard to keep clean, show all water marks etc. We have just done ours in matt/flat and are very happy.

omamari, Apr 4, 6:34am
Grout sealer is a must. Also there is an additive you can mix with grout that makes it more waterproof

asue, Apr 4, 9:10am
Yup dark gloss shows all the dust, bathroom products splashed around and water marks. Can make a small bathroom look smaller if you go too dark and watch the slipping on a wet surface. Looks goods and great if you like cleaning all the time. After having 2 bathrooms with them I wouldn't do them again like that. And yes for grout sealer. The better done the better to maintain long term.

viv130, Apr 4, 5:38pm
Thanks all. Matt tiles it is! Going the subway look on wall and wanted light as possible in grout so it wasn't to much over the top. Decisions

omamari, Apr 5, 6:57am
Pick a grey grout, don't go light. You are guaranteed to get mould and the lighter the grout the more it shows.

soxxy, Apr 5, 7:03am
What is this grout sealer - is it mixed in with grout or put in afterwards. How can I ensure that the tiler includes it. Is there a grout product that has the sealer in it already. Do tilers have to mix up grout or is it already mixed ready for application.

tui93, Apr 5, 9:54am
Can you mix an anti-mould into the grout?

molly37, Apr 5, 7:34pm
We recently wanted dark shiny tiles, but after bringing home a sample and sprinkling water quickly changed our minds, wow they were slippery. We went with dark matt and I have never liked them. With dark grout which we didn't seal. It does show water marks also. I also dislike the feeling of the tiles on our feet. Choose carefully.

sanders4, Apr 5, 8:23pm
Modern grouts contain mould and stain inhibitors,either read label or check with installer if in doubt.

nick2707, Apr 6, 8:32am
I wouldn't use cement based grout - too much hassle further down the track. If your tiler is any good, they'll happily use epoxy based grout. It'll be the best thing you ever do - trust me. No need to seal; stain and chemical resistant as well (non porous)

mssteptoe, Apr 10, 8:56am
Check out the Bunnings DIY section regarding tiling. I'm just doing some now and most of the products you need contain anti mould additives etc but have a read, it's very interesting and easy to do yourself.

cabrio1, Feb 8, 12:13pm
Grout sealer is a must. It's a clear liquid that you paint over the grout once it has dried. Grout will allow water to soak in, the sealer makes it waterproof. Watch out you don't get it on your tiles as it can mark, oh and matt def best.