This Oz Fruit Fly

mkbooks, Feb 19, 10:44pm
There has been a lot of publicity, via TV + newspaper, but I've never seen a good close-up photo of the thing, does anyone have a clear photo?

cor.-., Feb 19, 10:45pm
Google is your friend

koru67, Feb 19, 11:06pm

jhan, Feb 19, 11:46pm
It's quite pretty really, as their insects generally are. My neighbour says that if six of them are within 2km of each other, they can find each other to mate with. So lets hope there is not that number.

rainrain1, Feb 20, 5:28am
Coming home from overseas once, one of the passengers said something flew off his bag after he picked up his luggage, makes you wonder how many times that happens.

cleggyboy, Feb 20, 5:32am
Our borders are far to lax. It won't be long and we will have big problems if they don't stop penny pinching and sort out this problem.

5425, Feb 21, 12:23am
Good Government decisions again.;
Another fruit fly found.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11405712

5425, Feb 21, 12:25am
3 now
really good and clever business decisions by Ministers again.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/66483424/third-fruit-fly-found-in-auckland

punkinthefirst, Feb 21, 1:16am
. and since there were larvae in someone's home garden fruit, it stands to reason that there will probably be more elsewhere. Let's hope they REALLY get on top of it right away.
Given that it is harvest time, there's going to be an awful lot of money lost by orchardists.

olwen, Feb 21, 1:46am
The one good thing about this is that it's a built-up area without commercial orchards, but it's a real worry.

I'd hate it to be around my place with old overgrown fruit trees.

5425, Feb 21, 3:15am
The National Government made this decision to reduce inspections to 'save MONEY' as previous Governments have done and lost.
Will any grower/storekeeper etc. get compensation for their potential losses suffered directly from this Government action or non-action.?

mkbooks, Jun 7, 5:51am
There are lots of old tree, including fruit trees, in the zone-old suburbs
have big trees