Deck or pavers?

izzy_c, Sep 26, 7:14am
need to build a deck for our new house. at the moment it is about 10 cm from bottom off ranchslider to ground. DH wants pavers while I like wood. so whats the difference in price between the two? Pros and cons with each one.
Thanks

summersunnz, Sep 26, 9:58am
Have both. quite fashionable to have different heights and layout of different materials. with lighting included, maybe solar?
Also, check with your local council about the minimum height you need to have the deck surface in comparison to your house floor level. here it's 190mm from floor level to deck/path surface level. the same height of a concrete block,,and for ground to floor level it's more. from memory 250mm. both measurements to reduce risk of water penetration into the building.

trad, Sep 26, 7:38pm
How do you intend to build a deck when so close to the ground? I would go for pavers.

jano8, Sep 27, 2:43am
love pavers, deck to much maintenance.

biggles45, Sep 27, 2:47am
Agree, and decks can be very slippery when wet or frosty. Prefer pavers.

freddie19, Sep 27, 3:14am
Had both found pavers to cold, damp & become uneven over time
Yes there is maintenance on both , But a timber deck drys so fast after a shower & our family used a deck far more than any paved area we've had

survivalkiwi, Sep 19, 10:53am
You should have a minimum of 225mm from top of floor to top of natural ground. A deck can be taken to top of floor level were as pavers would need to be 125mm below floor level. You can put pavers at floor level if they are sitting on a special plastic bracket. (I have seen this done at an on old peoples village)