Community Garden start up

imut, Nov 20, 8:52pm
I was wondering if anyone has started up a community garden before? I want to get one started in my local area in Auckland but don't know how to go about it. I have heard you need council consent?
Any help would be appreciated.

bluefrog2, Nov 21, 1:10am
Use google to find your closest local community garden. Then contact the organisers and ask them.

annies3, Nov 21, 5:48am
There is a great one in Oamaru, also some road side vege gardens, I think its a very good idea. go for it.

grannypam, Nov 21, 5:50am
we have one here at Ngatea . there is a facebook page for it.

cantabman1, Nov 21, 7:11pm
I was a volunteer in a local Ch Ch community garden centre for a year.
The in house disfunctional, desent, and bitchiness ,left me cold, so i left.

gabbysnana, Nov 21, 7:46pm
theres two up the road from me, in the hood and they are both dysfunctional, must be catching. Kfc and mackers must be abound here because both gardens have become overgrown and all the produce left to rot.

karrie3, Nov 22, 1:19am
I do volunteer work for a community organisation which also runs community gardens. We use privately owned land and have a small team of regular volunteers. It's hard work and even harder to attract new helpers. We have a dozen raised beds with veges year round. The produce is used for a free weekly community lunch, or frozen to use off season, or given away to anyone who wants it.
If you're setting one up, first you have to find the land. Are you thinking of using your own garden? Are you prepared for others to wander in to help, or help themselves? It's expensive, not just the seeds, plants, mulch, compost etc but the cost of sheds, shade houses, tools, water - the financial outlay is never ending
Not putting you off, it's a wonderful idea, but very hard for one person to get it going. You may need to form a group, perhaps with some publicity in the local paper to get things going
Good luck!

Edited to add that we didn't need or ask for Council approval as a large plot of suitable land was 'lent' by a private individual, so luckily we've avoided any red tape

henreitta, Nov 22, 9:23pm
What suburb of auck ,are you in ? . I do know where there is some land and possibly a person to help you get started

redden39, Jul 23, 11:41pm
Check out the Facebook pages of the gardening magazines. One has a prize specifically for community gardens.