What plant would you use to mass plant a big bank?

Page 1 / 2
ceba, Jul 27, 9:10pm
Does Star of Jasmine affect allergy sufferers?

trad, Jul 27, 9:54pm
I love aluminium plant. It covers a lot of my back yard and is quite easy to control. It also stops weeds well.

ruby2shoes, Jul 27, 10:23pm
some of the pittosporums have lovely leaves. Just need trimming. So, a hedge of those, then your white hydrangeas (which will need dead heading, I've just done mine). Will they stay white, or will you have to add something to the soil? You could interplant those with hebe. Renga rengas and box hedge. If you don't like pittos, your idea is fine!

beth39, Jul 27, 10:59pm
Mix and match foliage shapes and colours to retain interest all year round .

spider47, Jul 27, 11:41pm
Have you thought of food crops, like pumpkins,watermelons, courgettes, peas and beans and anything else that will creep. Add prostrate evergreens for stability and permanence. Have fun planting.

fpress, Dec 8, 2:49am
Want something pretty, preferably evergreen, low maintenance.
Would love to use white Hydrangeas but the deciduous thing might make the bank look awful in winter.
Thought about Renga Rengas. but the snails just consume them in my garden. It is a massive area - around 60m by 30 m.
All ideas welcome.

golfdiver, Dec 8, 3:15am
Agapanthus does a good job and thickens up well. It has the added advantage of not dying if you spray round up amongst it while keeping weeds down. You do have to dead head them once a year.

maclad, Dec 8, 5:13am
What about some of the prostrate or semi prostrate conifers. They come in a variety of sizes, heights, habits and colours and need little attention, occasionally a trim to keep their size controlled and are pretty much disease free tho some do get problems with caterpillars.

jmma, Dec 8, 5:16am
Hebes

msnz1, Dec 8, 5:27am
What about white star jasmine. smells beautiful and will clamber along the bank?

fpress, Dec 8, 5:33am
oooooh. never thought about that! Does it create a problem for native bush though? Have a Beech forest behind us. lots of native birds etc. council sometimes go spare over people planting Jasmine don't they?
I love the idea of scent as well as something nice to look at. Plus it would look good with the Buxus hedging I have all around the garden.

fpress, Dec 8, 5:34am
Dont like Agies or Conifers.

msnz1, Dec 8, 5:42am
I don't think White Star Jasmine is considered invasive. unlike the ordinary Jasmine. Looks lovely en mass.
.and the smell is heavenly

venna2, Dec 8, 5:45am
Wild strawberries. I bought one plant, advertised as a lipstick strawberry. A few years later, I now have strawberries anywhere I want, as they send out runners and are easily transplanted.

I'm not so sure about aluminium plant - there was some at my place when I moved in, and it's certainly good at covering banks, but forms a dense mat in summer, and I see it's listed as a weed.

I certainly don't recommend agapanthus, which sprouts up everywhere. I've poisoned it wherever I see it. I love renga renga and haven't had a problem with snails. It does seem to take longer to spread.

Mint is also great, if you don't mind it spreading. And it has a lovely smell.

fpress, Dec 8, 5:58am
I can't grow mint to save myself. lol. could be my sandy soil.Has to be nurtured along like a baby in my garden.
The area is hard to access, and massive. so am thinking bigger plants rather than smaller- also need to plant in one hit rather than wait for plants to spread out. Keep the ideas coming though.So far the White Star jasmine is the winner.

max.headroom, Dec 8, 6:13am
Pumpkins and watermelons

sylvia1, Dec 8, 7:18am
Ground cover grevillias make a gorgeous thick cover, and don't mind poor dry soil.There are some good groundcover coprosmas too.

red_scorpio, Dec 8, 7:40am
Osteospremum - all the same colour. Spreads well and flowers all year round.

freesia, Dec 8, 9:02am
Yes . I would go with osteospernums too.

kindajojo, Dec 8, 9:18am
Those ice plats that creep

mrfxit, Dec 8, 7:03pm
Don't be tempted to plant Elephant ears (Colocasia)
We have it here & it's spreading pretty well & a real bugger to stop because it regenerates from tubers underground.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colocasia.
It can be pretty nasty when touched if you are sensitive to that sort of thing

A lot of councils plant it for bank control but it spreads slowly but surely, once spread, it's a sod to remove

venna2, Dec 8, 7:20pm
What do other people think about aluminium plant - does it deserve its 'weed' status or does it have a place on banks?
http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/aluminium-plant

bluefrog2, Dec 8, 11:18pm
Clover! How about wildflowers in clover. You can add red clover into the mix too, it's very pretty.

thistle4, Dec 9, 12:59am
venna2 wrote:
What do other people think about aluminium plant - does it deserve its 'weed' status or does it have a place on banks?
http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/aluminium-plant[/quote

Our neighbour has it planted in her garden along the side of their drive and it has started to take over my garden. I can't stand the stuff as any little piece left in the soil just takes off and before you know it it's everywhere again. For your purposes it might be ideal, just don't let it get on to a neighbours section.

fpress, Dec 9, 2:59am
Osteospremum. isn't that an annual?