Slopped section - garden ideas

.sunshine., Jan 19, 3:03am
Thanks everyone. Yes wanted to to sections retained off however limited time frame and funds as needs to be rented out. Spent a few hundred on a mixture of plants - a lot mentioned on here. Thanks so much

brightlights60, Jan 19, 9:56am
Mrs B here. Just finished a diploma in Horticulture, and it was very interesting about how to do this. I totally agree. If I had a slope to garden, I too would be using a terrace system. This way you are giving more support and shelter to vegetation. No matter what you plant, if you leave the slope in its natural state, you do risk erosion, exposure to elements ruining all your good work. If you build in a couple of terraces, it give you more choice, plus you could build in a track or path between so that you end up with your own mini park like garden or perhaps somewhere to sit. Google is your friend here for lots of really good ideas.

budgel, Jan 19, 9:09pm
If I had a slopped section the first thing I would do would be sort out the drainage!

.sunshine., Jan 13, 10:20pm
Hi all . I was thinking bout doing all nz natives. Currently have weed mat over area - it's about 11m wide by 7m long - all slopped at about a guess 50 degrees. U slip if you walk up it . Any thoughts as to what plants I should put in?

littlemiss20, Jan 13, 10:29pm
I'll follow this post also OP - we have a relatively new build with sloped section and I am struggling with what to fill it with. Im thinking natives will be the way to go too :)

goodbooks, Jan 14, 12:59am
You could use natives that also provide food for birds, bees, bumblebees and butterflies.

You could have trees above lower growing plants. Kowhai, Manuka, Hebe. a range of sizes in all these are available.

Use plants with strong root systems that will help anchor the soil to reduce chances of it slipping. flaxes. there are a large range of them, with many sizes and colours, have strong roots. and the bonus of tall flowers that feed tui and other native birds.

For other options. Rosemary has a strong root system too. took two of us to get the roots out recently to move a large plant. Rosemary is great for bees and bumblebees. and cooking too.

colin433, Jan 14, 1:19am
I planted a prostrate grevillea on a slope in one garden I had. It covered at least half the area you are talking about. It was evergreen, had lovely red flowers in season that the birds loved and also the bees.

Practically anything will grow on a slope, but you want it to look good from a distance. I'm not in favour of planting flaxes and other strong rowing plants that are almost impossible to get out again once they have run their course. They (flaxes) will need pruning on a yearly basis after a year or so, and this can be a real chore. They will flower, and again, are loved by birds, but the bigger varieties are also loved by blowflies. We had one outside out kitchen window years ago and were driven crazy by blowflies until I realised where they were coming from. We cut out the flax and no more flies

ang_ck, Jan 14, 1:49am
i have agapanthus on it. The roots hold the soil well

tigra, Jan 15, 12:25am
Not such a good idea.

tigra, Jan 15, 12:30am
being on the hills in the Hutt Valley I have had a lot of experience with sloping sections over the years. I've always found the best way is to try and create "plateaus" with 50mm boxing. It gives you flat surfaces to grow on so that you can grow anything and it means that any covering you put on the weed mat will not roll off. Its a fair bit of work but if you are planning to stsy there a while it will be beneficial in the long run

trade4us2, Jan 15, 8:33am
I have put 200x50 H4 timber criss-crossing the slope to make paths. I have 1 metre 50x50mm pegs holding the timber in place,

ang_ck, Jan 15, 9:41am
tigra, what could you do when the slope is basically rock and with zero or little top soil.

tigra, Jan 15, 10:11pm
Tis a problem I grant you. Just means even more hard work and an investment in buying in some topsoil.

tigra, Jan 15, 10:13pm
It can also look very attractive

kerryalan, Jan 15, 11:06pm
The best Grevillea for large slopes is Royal Mantle

thistle4, Mar 26, 5:02pm
We made our slopes into rockeries.