Plant gurus what tree is this

Page 1 / 2
majoba, Jan 28, 11:13am
Would like to know what this is and if the fruit may be toxic. The berries although small, hang on a stem in the manner of tamarillos. Although the fruit is mostly seed pod the flesh is soft and juicy and is about the same size as a large grape.
http://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/360482216.jpg http://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/360482149.jpg http://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/360482538.jpg

maclad, Jan 28, 5:11pm
I am pretty sure it is Karaka and very poisonous

spiritofgonzo, Jan 28, 5:25pm
Mclad you're normally right on the money but this is definitely not a karaka. Although I'm not sure what it is . need to think

spiritofgonzo, Jan 28, 5:26pm
Melia azederach I think

majoba, Jan 28, 5:53pm
Definitely not karaka. Although it is very similar to the Melia the flowers are not lilac or blue but are very insignificant, small and yellow.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 28, 6:19pm
Yeah not melia you're right. Flowers are followed by yellow berries, but they're smaller

piquant, Jan 28, 8:16pm
I have a suspicion that what you have is Azadirachta Indica or Neem Tree.

majoba, Jan 28, 8:50pm
I was sure you would know piquant. The similarity to the Neem tree is remarkable but I am not convinced. The Neem tree appears to have serrated edges to the leaves but this tree does not. Also the flowers are much smaller and greeny yellow. Something I find a bit curious also is that it is carrying both fruit and flowers at present.

The only reason I am interested is because there have been some dogs poisoned from presumably eating karaka fruit. Somebody found this tree on the side of the street and is, thanks to Facebook, claiming that this is a karaka tree. It clearly is not but I have been to have a look to see just what it is, hence the photos. While I have profound sympathy for anybody who loses a pet, especially in such a horrible way I don't think anybody benefits from every tree which carries berries being labelled as karaka and therefore poisonous.

wendy83, Jan 28, 9:29pm
Have a look on Google it could be a Loquat tree.

majoba, Jan 28, 9:44pm
No definitely not loquat either.

issymae, Jan 28, 9:51pm
get the local Council people to check it out- let them know it could harm dogs

issymae, Jan 28, 9:57pm
have a look on pets board, something on there re Karaka

majoba, Jan 28, 10:01pm
But I have no reason at all to believe it could harm dogs. And if anything, want to establish that this particular tree is harmless.

piquant, Jan 29, 1:14am
Is it a street tree or is it in someone's garden. If a street tree then, realistically, the council should know what specimens they have planted or are present in their street plantings. They should have a horticulturalist who could ID it. If it is in someone's garden then that is a whole different ball game. They may/may not have planted it. They may/may not know what it is. I have to admit to falling down on that initial ID - should have checked the foliage more thoroughly. sorry. Just a bit short on time at the mo - I'll try and do some more research later.

nchun, Jan 29, 1:45am
Can you please cut into the fruit and let us have a look at the interior. Cheers!

maclad, Jan 29, 3:21am
All good it was very early in the AM lol.

nchun, Jan 30, 12:17am
Does the fruit have pips or a stone?

countrygirl17, Jan 30, 12:33am

glenj, Jan 30, 12:42am
Tawa

piquant, Jan 30, 1:40am
Looks like you may have cracked it, cg's mom! Well done. Certainly seed is allowed into the country so it's possible someone brought some in. Can't say I've ever seen it for sale here - but then, I'm not really looking for stuff like this! Probably of more interest to nchun!

countrygirl17, Jan 30, 2:27am
My Palmer's Manual of Trees, Shrubs & Climbers (approx. 1980 edition) says that the Kaffir Plum is "a magnificent South African tree, extremely popular in contemporary landscape settings in warmer climates."

[cg's mom]

nchun, Jan 30, 5:26am
Well done CG's Mum. Surprising result. It had me! Very interested in getting some material from this tree to propagate or fruit for seed. Can I contact you directly? Cheers!

spiritofgonzo, Jan 30, 7:12am
Yes! They grow kaffir plums in tauranga . Good spotting!

majoba, Feb 9, 10:46am
Wow, thank you very much people, especially cg's Mum. Sorry I haven't been back to check and acknowledge this post for quite a few days. It certainly fits this description perfectly down to the description of taste and the low flesh to stone ratio of the fruit. I had always assumed that the plants in Mr Palmers book were either for sale at Palmers or had been at some time but that may not be the case. nchun I would gladly send you some seeds or some material for rooting if you want. It is growing on the road frontage, not on private property.Thank you again everybody, much appreciated.

nchun, Jul 8, 10:53am
Hi Mary, thank you! Could you do a BN on one of my small listings (Listing #: 842696735) so I can make contact with you to arrange seed supply. Thanks!