Cutting Christmas Lily Stems

gilligee, Jan 17, 11:05pm
Cut stems only as low as the last flower bud and leave all growth to die back so the goodness returns to the bulb ready for next year.

lemming2, Jan 18, 12:14am
The leaves remaining on the stem will feed the bulb, preparing it for next year.

brenda007, Jan 18, 7:17am
Thank you so much for the great advice! I am a novice gardener and am delighted with the outcome of these beautiful lilies so far. How many years will the bulbs continue to produce flowers?

gabbysnana, Jan 18, 7:58am
same just learnt also

brenda007, Jan 17, 8:03pm
Can someone please help me with a Christmas Lily query? I planted 12 bulbs in 2014. I have cut 2 stems when the flowers first opened, at a length suitable for a vase. The other 10 are at varying stages but some look almost ready to cut. My query is - once cut, what do I do with the remaining stem in the ground? Do I leave it to die off, or cut it immediately at ground level and leave the bulb in for next year? I have marked where the bulbs are with a bamboo stake which I also tied the lilies to as they grew. The ones I have already cut grew to over a metre before I cut them at 18" to put in a vase. Thank you.

gilligee, Jan 17, 9:12pm
Leave to die off. Goodness returns to the bulb.

harrislucinda, Jan 17, 9:18pm
yes leave to die and keep bulb moist as will be growing under ground until next year

brenda007, Mar 29, 3:16am
Thanks. But - do I cut remaining stem close to ground or leave the 18" that is still above ground to just die off? Some of the bulbs have produced 2-3 stems! Stems in vases smell gorgeous, their scent hits you as soon as you walk in the door.