Peace Lily plant looks like its dying – help pleas

denisekitcher, Nov 7, 11:48am
I have a potted plant at work, and for some reason the leaves seem to be wilting the past few days

I also noticed there are white powdery substances on the leaves

What can I do to get it back up again?

Wilting plant: https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/671972753.jpg Powdery substance: https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/671972830.jpg

Many Thanks, Denise

woody89, Nov 7, 12:56pm
I have a number of peace lillies & have found they do best in one area of the house, the light there seems to suit them, not too dark & not in direct light. I suspect being in the bathrooms they also have a certain level of humidity- my moth orchids & African violets are all in there too, sigh.
So, has yours always been where it is? If not it may benefit from moving?
I notice it seems very crowded in it's pot so may not have sufficient nutrients or water now.
I would repot (& possibly divide) into bigger pots with fresh potting mix. Aim to keep damp but not too wet. I occasionally flood mine in the bath or put out in rain but take care they're not there when the sun comes back. I also liquid feed every second watering.
I'm not sure what the powdery substance is- would have guessed pollen from a spent flower, otherwise either a fungal disease or a mite? A close up might help.
Good luck, I hope this is of some help, they are beautiful in full health & generally hardy. I have had them go as yours has & turned them around again.

maclad, Nov 7, 4:58pm
Well it definitely needs repotting, does not apper to be overwatered, but take care not to over water it. If it wilts from being dry you will notice.

janbodean, Nov 7, 5:25pm
Pot looks far too small for the size of the plant. I have several of these plants . all of which are thriving but I find that they need re-potting more often than some of my other plants. I also liquid feed once a month when flowering.

sla11, Nov 8, 11:38am
Way too big for pot - break up and repot in new soil. Meant to dry completely between watering, usually mine starts to look "wilting" and gets watered and the leaves washed carefully under the hose/tap (they are air purifiers so like leaves washed). Love a dose of Seasol or the like, and I dilute water from veges I've cooked (without salt). Definitely do have preference to what spot they like best, which is trial and error. Good luck!

denisekitcher, Nov 9, 11:23am
Hi guys!

I've repotted this yesterday - and given it some Yates all purpose plant food.

Will keep you guys posted and let you know how it goes!

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/673067084.jpg

Many Thanks, Denise

deanna14, Nov 9, 4:07pm
Well I hope it perks up, dam hard to kill a peace Lilly, I have tried. Even root bound they thrived like I don't know what. Perhaps it just got over watered at some point?

lakeview3, Nov 9, 4:42pm
Over watering or under watering will cause it to wilt. By the looks of the brown bits on the tips of the leaves, it is near some sort of heat pump/aircon? Probably not the best either. Hope it revives.

rita197, Nov 10, 1:12pm
Let it dry out and only water when the soil is dry.

maclad, Nov 10, 4:32pm
And then give it a through soaking by soaking it in the tub or a bucket.

denisekitcher, Nov 16, 7:29pm
Hey guys

Just an update, have repotted with fresh soil with spheghum moss, soaked in water, seasol solution, gave the roots a good wash and removed any rotten bits, but still no luck.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/677390110.jpg

Any ideas guys?

veejay13, Nov 16, 7:35pm
It certainly looks as though it's having a good old sulk, doesn't it! The best Peace Lilies I've ever seen were in a shopping arcade, and got no sunlight at all. Yours looks as though it might have some sun shining on it in your last pic. Perhaps try putting it into complete shade. just a suggestion, because you seem to have tried everything else. Good luck!

lakeview3, Nov 16, 8:31pm
oh dear! The only thing I could think of now is to cut some of the leaves off. I probably wouldn’t have removed all the soil from the roots and washed them, you may have shocked the plant. It’s usually best not to disturb the roots too much. If you cut some of the leaves off, you will create a situation where the leaves aren’t sapping all the energy so the roots can recover. I wonder what others think about this option. This is what I would do.

rita197, Nov 25, 10:01pm
I don't think it was a good idea to wash the roots. Roots are best not disturbed too much. I would have simply repotted it. not added any liquid, cut some of the leaves off, put it in a part shady place, watered only once it had dried out and left it in peace.

rita197, Nov 25, 10:02pm
How is it looking now?

koru67, Nov 26, 7:10am
Peace lilies like 1/2 strength plant food so stop feeding it. Agree they don't seem to like their roots disturbed too much either. If it is still alive I would be inclined to leave it be and water when it needs it. It will either resurrect itself or it won't.

mkr_ahearn, Nov 26, 7:48am

ruby2shoes, Feb 7, 9:05pm
I've never been able to grow those.