Native Pseudopanax arboreus - five finger, dying

ady.and.o, Jan 19, 6:03pm
Hi can anyone help, my five finger has been slowly dying, I've kinda been ignoring it hoping it would come back but it's past that now. My bad, the leaves are black and dying. I'm thinking it's lack of water, been very dry, anything else i can do to save it besides cutting back dead bits, watering and mulch? Poor tree. Any advice would be appreciated.

brightlights60, Jan 19, 8:43pm
You are doing all you can. They are pretty hardy, ours survive here in Christchurch, but do get a little pale and lose leaves in the Summer heat like now. You may find it comes back. Cut it right back at the end of Summer and it may reshoot.

koru67, Jan 20, 7:45am
x1
Mealy bugs attacking roots might be a possibility especially with it having been so dry. Have a gentle rummage around the roots and see if there are any white bugs on it.

scruff71, Jan 9, 4:48pm
x1
Its been exceptionally dry in Auckland and trees in my garden which normally survive without losing leaves in the summer have been dropping them this summer. We have also had recent excessive rain.

Look at soil structure - too wet, too dry? (Add compost and gypsum)
Are you getting dark spots on the leaves? (Fungal or viral)
Are the leaves just wilting and dropping? (Too wet, too dry)
If too dry, try a soaker hose around the dripline and then mulch to retain that moisture.
Pull off the dead leaves and continue to check for new growth over the coming weeks.

Pseudopanax are usually pretty drought tolerant trees. Hopefully it will bounce back.