Trees still dying from drought

wendalls, Apr 25, 6:39am
I have lost 4 large griselenias in a raised boundary of plants. After cutting them down I tried to dig holes for replacement trees near them today. The ground was still dry at the top of the mounds and I noticed pseudopanax and pittosporum also showing the same signs as the others did before dying. I wondered if there was a fungus involved as well in their death due to the wet winter previous. I noticedwhite cottonwool like ! spores as I dug close to one dead tree. Could this be something that would kill my replacement plants and what can I do to help get water to the roots of my other trees!

graham14, Apr 25, 9:14am
Sounds silly I know. But possibly any rain is just running of. You may need to break the surface tension. Make up a bucket of wat with a 1/4 cup of dishwash in it and soak the surface.

strebor1, Apr 25, 10:00am
Good advice. And it is such a waste of water to let it run off, best to try and keep it in that patch.

wendalls, Apr 26, 9:24am
thank you. thats just the sort of advice i was loking for. will be out tomorrow to do it. Cheers!

secretmissy1, May 18, 7:46am
The white cotton wool around the roots is mealy bug they live undergroundwhen the soil is not wet, phytophera does attack griselinia's as well but they wilt when they die and when you dig them dead one's out there will be hardly any roots around the plant as phytophera destroys the rootsystems.First of all identify if you have a insect problem or fungus and also put bark mulch around your hedge next spring to protect them from the dryer months around the roots.