Pumpkins dying while little

tracey731, Jan 24, 1:11am
I have a pumpkin vine growing however a little pumpkin appears then goes yellow and dies, some pumpkins are growing as they should be, but more seem to be dying, any help would be great, Thanks

mottly, Jan 24, 1:34am
I had the same last year with atlantic's - too wet was the problem with mine.

mark_g, Jan 24, 6:34am
I assume the plant looks reasonably healthy.

Usually, the issue is pollenation. This can be because there are no male flowers out at the same time as female flowers, or can be because of lack of insects, primarily bees.

If there are male flowers around at the same time as the females are open then you can try hand pollenation. It's not hard, needs no fancy tools and takes a couple of minutes.

Also; one pumpkin vine can only support so many pumpkin. many can develop but they would all be small. I don't know what the recommendations is per plant - and be sure it would vary depending on health and size of the plant i.e. the conditions - I seem to get around 3 or 4 pumpkin per plant. Often only one per "branch" but sometimes two.

cantabman1, Feb 6, 4:48pm
You will always loose a few thru a lack of pollination, but hang in there, and you will get your pumpkins. It pays to have 4 or 5 plants going at anytime to get the pollination thing going, and remember to plant out lots of flowering plants in your garden that the bees like to attract them.