Fireplace inserts poor performance solution?

robs, Jun 24, 8:36am
We have an insert fireplace, but the heat output performance is disappointing compared to a free standing fireplace.

Is there a solution to replacing the insert with a freestanding fireplace, using the existing insert set up i.e. leave the existing flue in the chimney and extend the hearth maybe and replace fire with a more exposed one?

What are any solutions?

laspaz, Jun 24, 8:39am
How old is your insert? I have heard that newer units don't dampen down as well as older ones due to trying to keep the emissions down. Inserts do come with different BTU ratings so you could look at replacing it with a unit that has a higher output?

nzmax, Jun 24, 9:03am
One thing you could try is to remove the fascia of the fire and put insulation around the outside of the box that the fire sits in. Pink batts will be ok as they wont combust or melt in that situation, though I am sure there is a proper heating appliance insulation available. Leave a gap around the flue where it protrudes through the box. Also try and push as much as you can down the back of the box. It will help reduce the amount of heat lost up the chimney.

laspaz, Jun 24, 9:06am
Good idea, ceramic fibre blanket is the best type of insulation for this. It's used in kilns and pizza ovens etc.

dibble35, Jun 24, 9:12am
I got an insert fireplace quite recently and it came with insulation round the outside of the box. did yours?

timbo69, Jun 24, 9:18am
IMO they put out less that half the heat of a free standing one. My new free standing 19kw masport is way better than a mates 2 year old 19kw inbuilt masport - the is no comparison

Apparently some have fans, that might help?

howgoodisit, Jun 24, 12:06pm
Pull it all down and start again. insert fires are crap.

macman26, Jun 24, 12:43pm
I've had a couple of insert heaters over the years and you only get good heat out if you have a fan. Otherwise a lot of the heat goes straight up.

robs, Jun 27, 7:14pm
Has anyone replaced an insert with a free standing one which would sit inside the cavity?

jonners2013, Dec 5, 1:42am
Surely a freestanding fire sitting in the wall cavity would be pretty similar to an insert one. If you're determined to replace the insert with a freestanding then you might as well move its location to in the centre of the room/house or on an internal wall to maximise heat transfer.