I need to remove a free-standing fireplace.

hanmer, Oct 18, 7:00am
It stands in a corner of the lounge. the ceiling is one of those with the rafters that slants. The flue goes through the highest point. It's in Torbay. Who does one call on to do this type of job? So want it out.

hanmer, Oct 18, 7:09am
. you don't understand, swishy. I don't want to light it, I want it removed;);)

nzjay, Oct 18, 9:54am
If you are not replacing it with another one then the roof will need work done on it to waterproof the hole for the flue.
I would look for a plumbing company that sells and installs wood fires and also does roofing.
If you are replacing it with a new fire, include removing the old one as a condition of sale.

hanmer, Oct 18, 10:33pm
Thanks jay. I I was thinking yday to go to a place who sells fireplaces and get their opinion. They may even know someone to recommend.

goodbooks, Oct 20, 11:52am
Consider selling the fireplace you're removing. they're usually popular.

hanmer, Oct 21, 10:45am
I want to do that, too as it was hardly used. May help pay for the job.

bugin, Oct 21, 9:16pm
You make a 3 sided wooden frame that will support the chimney ,just 15cm higher than the Firebox. Two-three people needed to lift the chimney onto the frame and slide the firebox out .
If it has a wet back ,you must drain the cylinder and cap the wetback connections . Actually do this first ,obviously.
Take the cap from the chimney and the flashings from the roof ,and remove the top sections . Carefully lower the chimney and separate the sections and remove outside . Get a roofer to reflash the hole in the roof .
Get a builder to replace insulation under the roof repair ,and fix the ceiling hole. Sit down and have a cool beverage ,or two .

hanmer, Aug 23, 8:13am
Thanks for the advice, B. Will pass it on. Only thing. We have a shortage of roofers up here to do menial jobs.