Is it worth reconditioning a free standing log

busybeaver2, Dec 30, 6:56am
burner! Our kent log fire needs some maintainence and was wondering who to contact to come and assess it , and find out if it is actually worth fixing ! Can you buy 2nd hand ones !

maclad, Dec 30, 7:21am
I guess every thing is fixable to some degree but if you replace it with a different one then you will need permits.If you replace it with one that is the same then you won't need a permit. Just something to consider.

wron, Dec 30, 11:17am
Our old Kent Forester is coming away at the top of the fire box, was fixed one many yeas ago, damper not working now either. Still burns ok but vastly less efficient than it used to be! I would think 2nd hand ones would be in a similar condition. So I'm in the same boat as you!

bigsneak, Dec 30, 12:25pm
We have a Kent was here when we moved in they are great I would fix it if you can.
Ours needed some tlc for instance all the door was shot needed new glass the fine metal surround that holds the glass in and the fire resistant fibre needed replacing plus there was some bar on the top inside of the fire that helps dampen it down or get it roaring that had broken off and needed replacing .
We did it ourselves there's a guy here in Dunedin who stocks all the parts for all sorts of fires including Kent could get you his details if you like.

busybeaver2, Dec 30, 11:02pm
Hi thanks for the feedback , I agree the kent is a good fire so would like to fix I think . Bigsneak if you could help out with that contact that would be awesome .

bigsneak, Dec 31, 12:39am
Tom despong is his nname hes in the white pages of the dunedin phone book should be in online version he runs it from home pretty sure he posyd parts if you need them sorry out and about on my phone so cant look him up.

wron, Jan 7, 10:44am
Any one know who fixes them in Auckland! Last fixer was named Subriski (totally incorrect spelling though) but he moved somewhere up north.