Is it worth replacing log burner?

christin, Mar 10, 10:41pm
If i dont get one, it means pulling out and flattening that bit of the wall as such!

lilyfield, Mar 10, 10:50pm
Woodburners run a lot cheaper I would do it if affordable

christin, Mar 10, 11:55pm
Thanks.I personally use the heat pump more.Just easier after getting home from work to flick a switch so to speak.

Just unsure to get a new one which will be more $$$$ and maybe not really be used or look like overkill with a heat pump next to it, or spend the $$$$ ripping it out

Have an open fire in my bedroom so covering most options currently lol

zak410, Mar 11, 12:41am
Nice to have during power-cuts in winter.

christin, Mar 11, 12:58am
true, but luckily we have one every few years lol.i also had a gas heater for that, i know not ideal but did the job (before i cut off the regulator to replace the faulty one on my cooktop!)

timbo69, Mar 11, 1:36am
I think you have answered your own question, seems like you would only put it in for resale value so the next owner MAY get the benefit. Use the money to pay your powerbill

christin, Mar 11, 1:42am
the thing is though if i leave it as it is, its useless being there.do i go the whole hog and strip it out, taking the walls back, (the dark brown bit juts out, along with a brick wood box next to it), or just leave a useless one there!

i just cant decide :-(so would like to do whats sensible!

golfaholic2, Mar 11, 5:25pm
The right tohave a burner could be lost if you remove it .wood heating is going to the way of the future for many NZ's .
It's an increasing trend in the US, and with evolving technology due to hit the NZ marker in the near future, wood is going to be the in thing before long .

kuaka, Mar 11, 6:29pm
I wouldn't be without my woodburner (which heats the hot water too) but we have just put in a heat pump - well in October we put it in and so far we have used it several times on heating (we actually used it on heating early in January up here in the winterless north) and have so far only used it once on cooling.Everyone else has been melting with the heat but it hasn't been excessively hot here.Anyway, it's nice to have the option.I can understand not feeling like lighting the woodburner when you come home from work, do you not use it at the weekends when you're at home!

reggienz, Mar 11, 7:07pm
I would replace the log burner. Our one heats the whole house (125 sq metres). Open plan kitchen/dining/lounge, and open the hall door and it heats up the bedrooms as well. Also can cook on it in case of power cuts.

hutchk, Mar 11, 7:20pm
Taking the burner out would be a major job - you have to remove the hearth (if there is one), reinstate the wall framing, reinstate the ceiling and scotia, repair the roof (there'll be a hole when the flue is removed), regib, plaster, paint, etc etc. If the flue is installed inside an existing brick chimney (I'd say it is, judging by the age of your house), the job gets even bigger, as the chimney really should come down. Replacing the old burner with a new one would take a couple of hours and cost you a lot less.

salb21, Mar 12, 12:50am
I love wood burners. It's better to already have one then to have to put one in. Love how they make winter just that bit cosier watching the flames

planespotterhvn, Apr 13, 1:15pm
Pity its an inbuilt in a fireplace. freestanders are so much more effective. Many in CHC who have lost their chimneys have built a timber framed alcove on the chimmney foundation and put a free-standing wood fire in the alcove.