Which Log burner?

Page 1 / 3
santos16, Jun 10, 1:27am
Our log burner has to be replaced at the end of this season. We have a Yunca Blenz, which we have only ever burnt wood in, it's fantastic, heating our entire home 180m2 with the assistance of a ceiling fan. (We have a 70's home with single glazed windows, installation above and below).
Of course we want something that can do similar.
Overnight burning and heating the whole house. (a tall order I know).
What recommendations please?

lissie, Jun 10, 3:58am
I was told by my chimney sweep that the new woodburners that are clean air certified won't burn overnight. Ours doens't burn for much more than 45 min without adding wood

nukhelenc, Jun 10, 6:46am
A Yunca WEGJ.
Not hard to fill the clean air approved holes in the 3 caps that let the air in, Thats all they done, was drilled 3 holes so it will always suck air.
Stick with the brand you know :)

timbo69, Jun 10, 6:53am
I just brought a masport 5000 , its isn't supposed to burn all night but it seems to have enough embers to easily get going again in the morning. it pumps the heat out when you need it to. My windows are open ATM.

h.e, Jun 10, 6:54am
+1. We stayed at a crib over queens birthday with one in it, only been in a couple of months. Stayed in over night and threw out heaps of heat

johne21, Jun 10, 7:36am
HI,check out Pyroclassic fires.

cagivachick1, Jun 10, 7:43am
we have a 5000 about 15 years old, still going strong, the plumber who fitted it filed something down so we could shut it right down we have a 230m2 two storey house, only form of heating apart from undertile heting in bathrooms and dining

timbo69, Jun 10, 7:56am
Did, to many reports of blocked chimneys - apparently they blame your wood. too unproven for me to consider them.

timbo69, Jun 10, 7:58am
Yep it heats my 104m2 house pretty well! . Its not hard to modify the damper so it can be shut right down, your just not supposed to do it and I don't need to.

cantabman1, Jun 10, 7:37pm
We have a Tauras Woodsman. It is the gruniest model made by Woodsman pumping out 24kwatts of power compared to other models at 17-18kws.
I don;t know wether they are still available with clean air regs, but worth a look.

santos16, Jun 10, 11:38pm
Thank you for your replies. I've just looked up the consumer report. We live in a clean air zone 1 so Yunca Wegj is not allowed. Masport 5000 I'm going to check out. Pyroclassic had been our first choice but we have about a 3 year supply of firewood and its all too big. Consumers also didn't rate the heat out put too good, 4.0. Woodsman Tarras sounds very good too and it can hold in for up to 8hrs. Thank you again.

springgrove, Jun 11, 7:15am
Had a woodsman installed recently Tarras the biggest I think. Had it converted to rural, burns all night slowly and is still going in the morning. Good quality wood, bone dry and only using three pieces a night. Fantastic.

timbo69, Jun 11, 7:43am
I find the wood the lasts the best overnight has moisture content of about 20% - not bone dry. I find the very dry wood is best only for starting

bergkamp, Jun 11, 8:00am
we have a yunca wegj . the best logburner ive ever had by a long shot . unfortunately its 15 years runs out next year - I shudder to think what our options are

gammelvind, Jun 11, 8:58am
Sorry pardon my ignorance but what's the issue with 15 years?

santos16, Jun 11, 5:41pm
It's the rules set out by Ecan (environment Canterbury) for clean air.

missymoo1000, Jun 12, 1:30am
We just installed a Bosca Limit 380 and it is very good. Havent tried an overnight burn though.

gsdz4me, Jun 12, 1:45am
I have a Masport which works well, gives good heat but something I never considered is that it is a wide shallow type which can be a pain when loading wood as sometimes the wood can and does sometimes roll out when putting wood on. My mum has a Lady Kitchener which works well and is a narrower deep type so no hassle with wood rolling out when loading it into it.

tonijo, Jun 12, 4:15am
blocked chimneys? Do you have more info?

nukhelenc, Jun 12, 5:53am
Love my Wegj
Shame you Canterbury people cant have them, and an even bigger shame yunca cant or wont get them up to spec, Well that means i can never live up that way :)

timbo69, Jun 12, 8:58am
Google research and one friend of a friend - no hard facts - could be all B.S but I wasn't gonna take the risk.

A good friend put one in for this season into new home, we are catching up in a couple of weeks so will ask him and let you know

voyager4, Jun 12, 8:46pm
x1
I had a Magnum P300 which put out more heat than we needed even in an open plan area. But I wanted to get rid of the mess of storing firewood now that I am not getting any younger, so I put in a Gas fire. Great, can control the temperature, only drawback wont work in a power cut. And cannot cook on it. Previous house had a Warmaire Regal which also had a lot of heat output - that one had an optional fan to pump out the heat as well - not needed :p

resolutions, Jun 13, 4:09am
We put in a pyroclassic 2 years ago, we'd never put in anything else now. It's awesome, most fuel efficient fire we've had. You do have to use dry wood though.

popped_out, Jun 13, 4:16am
We have a new ish (5 years old) Metro Eco Wee Rad. It heats the house up great BUT the fire bricks inside dont last, break and have had to be replaced twice so far, the metal interior parts rust. They just dont make them like they used to. We only use very dry wood btw so thats not the cause of rusting.

tonijo, Jun 13, 6:34am
Aaah - I tested my google-foo and found interesting comments on the ecobob forum.
We actually have a Pyroclassic - it's been in 4 years or so. No creosote leaks, pumps out the heat, draws well, gets a nice hot bed of glowing coals and saves a fortune on electricity in the winter due to the wetback. We use very dry wood. We are in Christchurch, and the two guys we know who install them are very competent.
But. we had a chimney fire about a year ago. Had been swept 6 months earlier or so. Heard a roaring noise and watched the flue turn black and red glowing spots appeared. It didn't last very long, but we had the fire service out anyway - freaked us right out.
Chimney was checked before using, and the flue was found clean of any build-up. Not surprising really, it burnt.
We are scratching our heads because we have NEVER used wet wood. And the fire has always drawn well and is not smoky. Single level home, so average length flue I guess.
It's been fine ever since, but because it happened once, it's always in the back of my mind - no matter what brand the fire is!