Installing a log burner

kam04, Apr 13, 11:56pm
Hello, can anyone give me some idea on how much it would cost to install a log burner, thanks

golfaholic2, Apr 14, 12:10am
Have you bought a new burner kam04 !

Wet back !you have the flue kit !same model burner !
You may need a new hearth . there are a few other extras as well .roof flashing and newer smoke detectors .

What type of roof ! .

Answer me those questions and I'll be able to give you an idea of costs

kam04, Apr 14, 12:54am
Have an existing. It is being removed to replace cracked tiles. Can't put it back because it is over 15yrs old. Basically replacing the existing one. I will be supplying log burner, flue etc - just a labour cost really.

golfaholic2, Apr 14, 2:05am
It CAN be put back .
And for that matter , you can still use it .CERA have been asked by ECan to make changes to the CHCH air plan , namely adding a 15yr lifespan to burners in CHCH .
That aside, if you are changing models of burner , you may have to increase the size of the hearth .
You will be up for a $296 consent from the CCC .
If you have a lead flashing on the roof , state that you will reuse it on the consent forms , otherwise you may get sucked into buying a flash new one .
Your smoke detectors may have to be upgraded .
Ball park install figure is $500
If it's a wetback model , the install cost could be closer to double and other extras may come into play , like anti scold device

soph001, Apr 14, 9:30am
We are replacing and old inbuilt burner, the quote is $3,600.
This includes new fire ($1,999), chimney and parts, installation and council fees.
This does not include hearth extension which we will be diy-ing.

kam04, Apr 18, 8:37pm
Where can I find this information regarding being able to put the same unit back.

skin1235, Apr 19, 7:33am
you're removing a fire to repair it, and when it is finished being repaired you put it back
what other info do you need
the council do not need to know, either that it has been repaired, or that it has now been refitted
even a wetback model is not that hard, turn power off, water off, and drain the cylinder, fit a couple of plugs to cap the pipes while it is absent, when ready to reinstall, turn the power to the cylinder off drain it etc
people do get seriously frightened of councils that have absolutely no right to interfere on repair and refit jobs

golfaholic2, Apr 19, 8:41am
I would need consent to install your burner in my home , and wouldnt get it .but I could still install it , I just couldnt use it .
I cant imagine any reason why youd need consent to put yours back .
I dont advocate using an old burner tho .if it's smokey - replace the thing .otherwise I'd hold off till later in the year when far better technology becomes available .
At a meeting yesterday with David Bedford - ECan Commissioner in charge of Air , he stated that Brownlee was likely to sign off on the new ultra low emission burners for ALL homes in CHCH within 2 weeks .
They wont be on the market for this winter but wont be far after

kam04, Apr 19, 8:53pm
The law says that any log burner over 15yrs old can no longer be put back, ours is 18yrs. As the repairs are being carried out by EQC there is no way the log burner can be reinstalled without anyone knowing, they are the ones taking it out. The installer being used won't do it either.

cantabman1, Apr 19, 10:45pm
We opted out nearly two yrs ago and part of repairs was a new log burner.
I saw a bill from the installer which was $1800, which blew me away with the install costs. It only took half a day, but did include the permit costs i think, and some s/steel parts not included with the fire box.

skin1235, Apr 19, 11:46pm
what you didn't say in your first post was that it is a EQC repair job, and in CC
there are rules particular ( and peculiar ) to both those factors that most people in diy gardening would not be aware of
I hope it can be resolved to your satisfaction without the need for a 2nd or 3rd mortgage
as EQC and CCC are involved you cannot do as I would have done - removed the fire, fitted new tiles, replaced the fire
whatever the costs are going to be is mute, they will charge like wounded bulls, I'm surprised they even let you purchase the new fire in the first place, I'd have expected them to dictate type style and size and supplier ( then they can all get a slice at the pie at your expense)

golfaholic2, Apr 20, 2:08am
It is my understand that any burner can be installed in any home .the use of said burner is where the law is broken .
I may be wrong-but the burner could be in a home for nothing other than ornamental value . I cant see why you cant demand they replace it .
Now I'm assuming the original is being moved to repair the harth !
In which case the reinstatement should be on EQC .I'd be demanding they reinstate the burner as per before the quakes .
It's more than likely that EQC are pulling the wool over your eyes .there are time when repairs are done needing consent .

Now do NOT discard the following advice -

I advise ringing the CCC consents officers and asking if the temporary decommission of a log burner for harth repairs followed by replacement is a consentable activety .
If this is the case , EQC will not only have to reinstall it , they will have to fund a new clean air approved model .
This is probablyno different than if a window is damaged beyond repair , the replacement will need building consent , and double glazing will be required - expense on EQC

Also , and this is just added to show the level of misconception around log burner rules -

AQL11 is the rule in the CHCH air plan which says it's illegal to discharge contaminants to the air from any enclosed burner older than 15yrs during April 1st -Sep 30th . this rule refers to "non compliant burners" .being 15yrs old or older does NOT make a burner non compliant .
The above is a summary of part of an internal memo from ECan's Environmental Lawyer sent to CERA's cheif legal officer
ECan have asked CERA to add the 15yr lifespan to rules in the CHCH air plan .this is one of 4 changes .this is likely to happen in the next 2 weeks
The fact is , they cannot stop you using the burner no matter how old is , unless they can prove it doesnt comply with current standards .in other words , they must remove it from your home - spend 10-20 grand testing it to NZS 4012/13, and if it fails you cant use it anymore .otherwise they must reinstall it .

Personally.I'd tell EQC I'm happy enough paying for the burner but they will be installing it as part of their repair strategy .at their expense.fair is fair .

cantabman1, Apr 20, 9:00pm
PS: The other thing to consider is insurance cover. If an installation is illegal in any way, then you will become void of any payment should there be a fire/fault in the future.Also, the flue must be cleaned on a regular cycle with a receipt kept to show the work done in case of a flue fire caused by a build up of soot.
One has to be very careful with DIY work inhome, particularly electrical or installations.

riverheadrider, Apr 22, 1:25am
Rocket mass heaters are the cleanest and most sustainable way to heat a conventional home

golfaholic2, Apr 22, 4:32am
Just looked at the rocket heater .

They are a huge leap on conventional burners but I cant see them passing the new tests for use in new homes in CHCH .
There are several areas where the combustion process need improvements , but above all else - smoke at startup will see it fail the tests

riverheadrider, Apr 24, 1:33am
YOU WILL HAVE TO "COMPLY" TO BIG BROTHER THEN.

crackerjack19, Apr 24, 11:27pm
ANY log burner when lit for the first time will give off smoke and it wont be just from the fuel being burnt. The absolute arrogance and ignorance of these so call experts absolutely amazes and angers me immensely,

golfaholic2, Apr 25, 4:58am
From memory , the new testing regime released a few weeks ago gives a run in period to avoid contamination from the paints on the burner .

They do still call for a dilution tunnel to measure VOC's and other condensibles . the cooling process also dilutes the samples 100times .
VOC's etc are completely burnt off , and now we are left with a tiny fraction of a sample which was tiny to start with .the margin of error is now larger than the samples taken .
The guys designing these burners are far cleverer than the guys writing the testing methods .to give them credit tho , they have made the new tests flexible and open to tweaking .which is good because they really have no idea how to set tests for technology that in some cases may not have even been invented yet .

imagine4, Apr 25, 5:20am
why cant youreuse it

golfaholic2, May 15, 4:17pm
Why would anyone pay to do EQC's job , thats more to the point .probably find EQC are liable for the cost of the burner as well.

The law relating to old burners actually specifically mentions retrofitting old burners to make the compliant with the current regs .something that seems to have escaped CCC and ECan