Kent log burner

pixma, Apr 11, 5:05am
A 35yo kent log burner is installed, at the end of winter last year it started puffing out smoke with the door shut. long story short, when the roof was painted the guy that did it pop-riveted the witches hat on and I've never got around to drilling it out. So I lifted the flue out from the fire a bit and cleaned it out with the brush. A bit came out, but not as much as the last year. Having just started lighting it again, smoke is still puffing out with the door closed. And it is impossible to open the door, as smoke just fills the room quickly. Should I look at the air vents? I remember someone using a garden hose on them years ago. Thanks

cantabman1, Apr 11, 5:45am
Maybe the flue is not long enough for it to draw properly as it isn't clearing the ridge-line?. otherwise try spending some money on a pro chimney sweep who has more equipment and can clean it from inside the box.

pixma, Apr 11, 7:03am
It's always worked properly

skin1235, Apr 11, 7:12am
I've managed to clear a partially blocked flue by simply lifting it at the firebox by a few mm and dropping it ( open the flue slide first )
great lumps of coke fell down, then light it up and let it burn hard for the first hour or so

skin1235, Apr 11, 7:16am
if the smoke is puffing out around the door the door seals are stuffed, make sure where its coming from though, the air vents draw air from the front on a lot of them too

false economy to keep them choked down for those long slow burns, use good wood and let them burn, they need a good burn to clean the flue

the fire here is 25 yr old, and I replaced the lowest section of the flue last year, it has never had a brush in the flue yet

pixma, Apr 11, 8:21am
Will try this tomorrow. Hope it works, would like to do it all from the ground.

bill1451, Apr 11, 8:35am
Do not use a vacumn cleaner, the fine dust will damage the motor, drill out the pop rivets, the cause will be at the top of the flue where the gas condenses due to cooling and forms a coating on the inside of your flue which can be 10mm thick or more which restricts the flow and causes back pressure, result smoky fire. Push your hand up inside the fire box and lift the secondry burning chamber plate on an angle and it will easily come out, along with build up of ash.when cleaning your flue put newspaper inside the door then close it this stops ash coming into the room

gary231, Apr 11, 9:17am
All fires have a durability (life) of 15 years - best you get rid of it, take out a Building Consent & install a "modern" appliance that is at least more efficient and SAFE

lissie, Apr 11, 9:57am
I understood that having your log burner and flue regularly inspected and cleaned is a requirement for most insurance companies. That said my chimny guy said he does service 35 yo burners - some people prefer them because the newer ones are more "effiicient" and therefore can't burn through the night

cantabman1, Apr 11, 10:20am
Very true, suppost to be done each year and keep the receipt.

golfaholic2, Apr 11, 6:37pm
15 years is a requirement by Mfe and local councils ,with many manufacturers reducing the quality of their product accordingly .
It's a generalisation , but many older burners were better made and of better quality materials .
There will be parts which will need periodic replacement , like door ropes , air pipes , fire bricks , but on the whole it isn't a great leap to accept that an old burner may have many many years of life left in it .
There are boilers in use that are over 50years old , and you can bet that they are used far harder than a Kent wood burner

pixma, Apr 12, 4:23am
Did what #4 said and it has stopped the puffing while burning, just smoke when the door opens now.

Got a ladder & the drill and made it up to the guttering before retreating. will get someone in.

golfaholic2, Feb 7, 1:19am
The flue is still partially blocked , or maybe caked in creosote which is insulating the flue, which in turn reduces its ability to draw .
Leaving a window partly ajar might help , especially if the range hood is running . mind you , you want a window ajar while a range hood is running anyways

I'd consider installing an intensifier . made in NZ