HWC / wetback / fireplace removal

soph001, Jan 2, 11:30am
So the house we are looking at has a 'non compliant' fireplace, which has a wetback connected to a fairly modern HWC.
If we take out the fireplace completely, do we need to replace the HWC? Or can we just cap the pipes that were connected to the fire?

budgel, Jan 2, 1:11pm
You should be able to just cap the pipes. I had the opposite situation in one of my houses where a new HWC had capped fittings to accept a wetback at a later date. No problems whatsoever.

sanders4, Jan 2, 7:39pm
Looking at my power bills I think you need to accept a non compliant fire and enjoy some cheap living while you can!

bill1451, Jan 2, 7:57pm
we have just replaced our log fire, and it has a wetback, would not be without
a fire or a wetback, all up cost $4500, everything included, but well worth it.

jan2242, Jan 4, 8:44am
Cap the pipes. My wetback sprung a leak last winter and plumber just capped the pipes - no problems. Took him about 1 hour and $30 for 2 brass caps. Can you get someone to check the fire is safe? Most companies that do chimney sweeping are good. Depending on the outcome it might be worth your while as winter hot water will be basically free.

bryshaw, Jan 4, 6:44pm
We had a wetback next to HWC and we just capped the cylinder when the wetback leaked. Our power bills have actually gone down.

soph001, Jan 17, 2:48pm
Thanks for the replies.
We would be having ducted central heating (heat pump type) installed so that the whole house is the same, even temperature.