New Fireplace

germainium, Apr 6, 1:40am
Looking for opinions on fireplaces-we are replacing our old Kent (god knows how old!) and were originally looking to replace it with a Metro Wee Rad. However when the installer came out to measure up for a quote for installation, he said he would recommend the Masport R5000 over the Metro. He said the Metro was more likely to need parts replaced (he said the bricks were especially susceptible to cracking) and didn't put out as much heat as the Masport. Our house is about 120m sq. He reckoned the Metro wouldn't put out a whole lot more heat than the old Kent.

Has anyone had any experience with these fires and can make a recommendation?

budgel, Apr 6, 8:52pm
I have a Wee Rad and am very happy with its heat output for heating my 180sq M home (in Northland), it is true that the firebricks are more vulnerable than thicker ones in larger fires. I chose mine because it was a retro fit and could legally go closer to a wall than others available at the time, also it is very clean burning being an 'Eco' model.

Given that you have plenty of room, a fireplace with a similar footprint to your old fire wouldn't be a bad idea. Go online and look at whatever takes your fancy and look for the published heat outputs and compare them.
Metro do manufacture a larger model that looks the same as the Wee Rad , but puts out more heat (and of course, uses more wood).

golfaholic2, Apr 6, 9:48pm
Clean burning budgel ? compared to what ?

Does the test work on the burner identify the composition of emissions ? their toxicity ?

The fact is , MfE and ECan have no idea what they doing re testing and authorising log burners .

I can pretty guarantee that there are other burners tested shown to be far dirtier , which in fact , are far healthier .

That aside , bricks should/would fail in the first year , they are easily replaced , and costs should be covered under warrantee .

reggienz, Apr 8, 7:49pm
We have a wee rad in our 120 sq meter house in south canterbury and it heats the whole house with ease. We find it economical too. One barrow load of wood in 24 hours burning.

gabbysnana, Apr 8, 8:09pm
just remember to it a compliance certify from your council for the new install.

..james.., Apr 11, 8:20am
we just replaced our very old kent with a R5000 a month ago. Have tested it and reckon it is a major improvement. Any of the fireplaces rated near your size you can buy these days will make you happy I reckon.

nukhelenc, Apr 12, 12:59am

germainium, Apr 15, 10:06pm
It had to be a model available from Mitre 10 Mega as my partner has an acc there and wanted to purchase from them. We *could* get a bigger fireplace, except where the fire place is in the room (in a corner) the only two that would fit are the R5000 and the Wee Rad. Anything else would need to come out further from the wall and so would change where the flu ran through the ceiling and roof which is more $$$. Our house is rather old and not especially well insulated, only in the ceiling, and we are in mid canty so winters can be a bit gnarly. Perhaps this is why the installer suggested a fire with a better heat output at the same size.

It's our sons first winter in the house (and last, hopefully) so we wanted to make sure it is as cozy as can be.

Thanks all!

cossie5, Jan 31, 4:46pm
We got the R5000 last winter, fantastic Fire we love it