Painting a Caravan

mrsrickp, Jan 12, 4:54am
We are having to paint our Caravan as the original paintwork is past its best. Is there anyone out there that can suggest what sort of paint we should use. I suspect an Enamel. We want to do it ourselves as we cannot afford to get a spray painter in to do it!

poppy69, Jan 12, 4:57am
A friend of mine painted his on the outside (which I presume is where you are meaning) with aquaenamel and the several coats of sealer. Looked great.

mrsrickp, Jan 12, 5:01am
popp69. yes it is the exterior. will probably be using rollers.

johotech, Jan 12, 6:29am
What is the caravan made of?

mrsrickp, Jan 13, 12:20am
I guess its aluminium like most of them. Its a "Classic" caravan.

newtec1, Jan 13, 2:24am
If you don't want to go to excessive expense, use a marine enamel which can be rolled on and finished with a brush. i have been using a producted called Altex on a boat and it is surprising how good the finish is with a little practise. Buy a good quality roller and wide brush ,don't buy cheap they don't work. Roll it on in stages and then brush over lightly just once to even the texture and let it settle. If you have two on the painting all the better,one can follow the other around to brush it off. Once over with the brush is sufficient. Experiment first with the texture of the paint,you may need to thin it a little to make it flow.The secret to a good finish is always the prep,use a good undercoat which you will def need ,and sand it well with fine paper and you will get good results.

mrsrickp, Jan 13, 4:30am
The brush work will be called "Tipping or Feathering". I remember doing this with the cupboard doors when it all went wrong lol. Thanks newtec1. I am now going to research how much a tin of Altex is. I think we may need a few. What sort of undercoat do you suggest we use? I think MrRickP said that it doesn't need an etch undercoat.

newtec1, Jan 13, 6:39am
Altex have an undercoat to suit.Depending on the size of the van,1 lt will cover approx 10 M/2, and the price of 1 lt i think is about $70 per Lt. If you still have a solid base of paint on the van,no it won't need an etch but will need a good sand to take it back to a sound base.What size is the van ? 2 lt may do it.

mrsrickp, Jan 13, 6:40pm
newtec1. you are a wealth of valuable knowledge. The van is 4.9 metres and a Classic Diplomat, 1976 model. Her paint has faded badly as you can imagine being that old. Not only has it faded but there is patches where I can see silver underneath, just small patches that have flaked off. I take it that the paint can be tinted to any colour!

newtec1, Jan 13, 10:47pm
They have quite a range if you get their colour chart. You will need to remove any flaky paint to get a good surface to start with,and if you can see silver [aluminium i presume] you will need a small spray can of etching primer,otherwise the undercoat may not bind to the ali Judging by the size of the van it would probably be under 20 M2 coverage which should only need 2 litres,unless you want to give it two coats.

newtec1, Jan 13, 10:52pm
You have boating supplies down your way. I suggest you go in to them and see their colour charts for Altex. If they don't carry it i am sure others will. If you go to their web site it will show you all their products and suitability. Good luck.

mrsrickp, Jan 14, 12:34am
Thankyou so much newtec1. I really appreciate your help. I will follow up with your advice and do some leg work! We plan to paint the caravan around the March/April mark when its not too hot and not too cold!

newtec1, Jan 14, 3:29am
And not too late in the day, condensation can leave the paint with a flat finish

oruff, Jun 7, 1:50pm
I have an old ali camper which I painted with roof paint, 2 years ago, no probs!