Does anyone know how to kill reeds that grow in

porthills, Dec 1, 6:44pm
our paddocks. Sorry I dont know there actual name. We live in a summer safe area of Oxford. Over the years our reeds are increasing, I hate the look of them and would love to be rid of them. I have heard they dont like lime! and our paddocks do need liming, but would it kill them! We cut them every year because it makes the paddocks look tidier but I dont think they are spread by thier seed heads are they!

dibble35, Dec 1, 7:38pm
On my mums farm they have something - dont know name of it, that they tow behind the bike and it wipes roundup onto the top of the reeds killing them, while leaving the grass alone. on wheels set a certain height to hit the tops of reeds, weed wiper! maybe you could hire one

omamari, Dec 1, 7:57pm
Dibble is correct. A weedwiper is used. Concentrated Roundup is held in a horizontal pipe with a wick system.The pipe is mounted on a wheeled frame and dragged around the paddock. The Roundup is wiped onto the rushes. Depending on the area you have you could use a paint roller to wipe on the roundup. The idea to kill the rushes but not the pasture.

porthills, Dec 1, 8:11pm
Thats great, thanks. Could probably do it by hand we only have a couple of acres. Does it kill them for good!

harleypartsnz, Dec 2, 11:11pm
It will kill the ones you treat, if applied properly, but rushes are a sign of bad drainage, so they will come back

porthills, Dec 3, 9:13am
Thanks, yes they do seem to be a problem in our area, we have clay approx 40cm down. Great that we never dry off in summer but the paddocks can be very wet in winter. Would anyone have a suggestion for a hand held device that would work well! I was sitting in a paddock today looking at them, cant imagine a roller working, did consider a paint brush or even spraying with a small trigger sprayer very close so I have minimal grass killed.

elliehen, Dec 3, 9:42am
You can buy a hand-held weed wand.I picked one up at the local recycling centre.There has even been one for sale on Trade Me#75897135"Ideal way to avoid overspray on plants or to cover large areas by spot application. Hockey stick shape. Fill the handle with weed killer and the wick rope wets the weeds."

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=5E53vCDpn58

dibble35, Dec 3, 6:13pm
think i've seen them at places like mitre 10/bunnings,

lalbagh, Dec 3, 6:14pm
you could get a farm contractor in to do it, using his gear, wouldnt take long; or a farmer willing to do a quick job. Ask around the community.

porthills, Dec 3, 6:23pm
Thanks guys. Yes that wand looks quite good, might have a look at the hardware store. Prefer not to involve anyone else when I can do it myself,our property is quite steep in placesand also has a creek running through it, so its probably easier by hand being only a couple of acres.

gyrogearloose, Dec 3, 8:06pm
Dad's method was to wait until summer had dried them as much as possible, then produce a bucket with large pieces of pumice with a hole in the middle, connected to a long piece of No 8 wire, which had been soaking in diesel all day.

These were lit, handed around, and everyone went off lighting the rushes.

porthills, Dec 4, 12:41am
Ha ha that would be good at dusk, would look quite impressive. Ours arent long enough to dry off :(Good idea though, would be much more fun than poisoning them

harleypartsnz, Dec 4, 1:03am
have used the hockey stick applicator myself, does a good job, think you can still buy them new from farm outlets

bugin, Dec 2, 8:47pm
Actually you can buy one from me ,do you want me to list it!