Cleaning ceiling without streaks-help!

sally63, Sep 20, 12:23am
Aaarhgh I wiped a few marks off the flat based painted ceiling and caused severe streaking so the ceiling is obviously dusty/dirty. It looked ok prior to this, just a few fly spots. The more I wipe the worse it gets. I tried dabbing with the sponge but that does not work either Help!

whitehead., Sep 20, 2:46am
sounds to me like you might have to do the lot ,ive done a whole ceiling with spray on foaming wall cleaner in the pink and purple can and a clean broom from the dollar shop ,i used a green mit tied to the broom and spraied the broom and wiped .then hung a tea towel over the broom and wiped worked well

sally63, Sep 20, 3:40am
I had hoped you would not say that! It is huge. :( Was your ceiling flat water based paint?Where do you purchase the wall cleaner from please?

bluefrog2, Sep 21, 9:47pm
I use a new sponge on our floor mop. One of those rectangular sponges on a long handle so I don't need a ladder. Just change the sponge first so it's a new, clean one. Floor cleaner with warm water works fine.

maccachic1, Sep 21, 10:38pm
Can get in the professionals with a steam cleaner - can be cheapish on grab one

spiritofgonzo, Sep 22, 6:49am
The problem with flat paint on the ceiling. Never understood why it's recommended so often. Opt for semigloss and it won't streak whne wiping flypoo. Not helpful for cleaning though sorry

gedc, Sep 22, 7:12pm
My experience is flat paint won't ever not show streaks. Once you wipe it you are goosed and have a shinier patch. It hides imperfections in the plasterwork / skim coat but is just crap when it needs fly spots cleaned off. Ours congregate around the halogen downlights and we just put up with the brown dots. I'm in middle of renos and was thinking about the kitchen living room and while browsing in bunnings Dulux now appear to sell a wipeable flat ceiling paint. Am planning on using that and seeing how it goes.