Leaf Curl on Peach Tree

Page 1 / 2
2bakerz, Oct 14, 2:53am
My Golden Queen tree is a mass of curly leaf!I am so shattered as I did spray with Lime Sulphur after leaf fall in winter and had done a few liquid copper sprays.Should I have done more!I guess it's too late to do much now!

spiritofgonzo, Oct 14, 4:22am
bugger.!.next time try a lime sulpher spray after leaf fall, and then do another one before bud break. Not much you can do about it this time though.

kiwicarm, Oct 14, 5:35am
you could spray it with copper now to try and help further new leaves but unfortunately the infected ones cant be helped.

2bakerz, Oct 14, 6:02am
Thanks for info - will do another copper, but there is just so much.Just didn't keep a close enough eye on it this time.Hope I get a few peaches at least!

graham14, Oct 14, 7:51am
Wally Richards wrote about this years ago and I know several people who have used his suggestion. The info is quite long and wont fit here but you will find it here. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Garden-Gloves-Geraldine/259949077417042 I hope this helps

tomz, Oct 14, 10:10am
x1
Try hammering about half a dozen copper nails into the trunk. It worked on my golden queen tree. Make sure you scrape the laquer off the nails first. My tree had real bad leaf curl and next season it had virtually none and now it is completely free of it altogether. Don't use copper spray at all now.

mitster, Oct 15, 8:13am
Use spraying oil, organic and easy it stops the fungus from moving to the new leaves, keep that up each time it rains until you have enough new leaves that you can pull the infected ones off and burn or bin them, next spring use oil and copper and you will not have the issue, remember its a fungus so you need to stop the spores moving and oils are the best and easiest

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 15, 8:17am
Mine too, but last year was a heavy crop, so I expected problems this season.

robke, Oct 16, 3:35am
Yeh our golden queens x 2 have been hit by leaf curl badly, pretty much all new growth has been affected but the next lot of leaf growth seems not so bad, we had a spray programm last season and still got leaf curl so I don't know what to do next, certainly no fruit has set.

demelza_afitu, Oct 16, 3:50am
I just bought a dwarf peach tree and the guy said it doesnt matter, just pull the leaves off, does it affect the fruit!

antoniab, Oct 16, 4:02am
I aways spray with copper but always get leaf curl too lol it doesnt really matter too much though as those leaves always end up dying an dthe new ones never get it (although I would rather they put their energy into fruit rather than growing new leaves!)

tjmc, Oct 16, 4:17am
I've had one new peach tree poop out from the blardy leaf curl - we had none of it till we got a tree from a normally reputable nursery.Now all my blardy nectarine and peach trees have it.

have ordered some special fert which should fix it. fingers crossed!

sue72, Oct 20, 3:42am
where do you buy copper nails!dont recall seeing any in the shops

tomz, Oct 20, 4:03am
Most hardware or building supply shops sell them

2bakerz, Oct 23, 6:45am
Just checked back on this thread - and feel just a tiny bit encouraged that I am not the only one with this ugly problem!I like the copper nail trick, seem to remember dear old Dad doing just that many moons ago.Thanks to all of you - there's some helpful info there.I get Wally Richards' newsletters regularly but couldn't remember this one.so thanks!

2bakerz, Nov 11, 6:33pm
Well, now the poor old tree really looks so sick .and I didn't do anything else to it either!Leaves continue to fall off - do I just continue to rake them up and destroy them!Will I get any fruit at all!I just feel like shaking the poor old tree til every leaf falls off, but maybe there's a wee fruit lurking about there!

eljayv, Nov 11, 9:56pm
I know how you must feel, we bought a peach tree this year and I am disappointed to find that it is heavily affected with curly leaf. Since then I have noticed ALL the trees still left in the nurseries have burst into leaf and they all have curly leaf!What chance do you have of buying a healthy tree.I also notice the apple trees, in nurseries, have over the months blossomed and some have little apples on but in only one nursery have I seen a codling moth trap being used.

eljayv, Nov 11, 10:35pm
If really desperate you could use Bravo, but check out the variety of solutions in the discussion on this page.people seem to get results
http://blog.landscapedesign.co.nz/gardening-advice/pest-control/fruit-tree-problems-leaf-curl/archives/2238/

auburn4, Nov 12, 12:54am
Our old fashioned white nectarine has leaf curl and does every year but it doesn't affect the fruit at all. Have tried spraying in past years but to no avail.

sandy11, Dec 1, 11:16am
Try sprinkling Dolomite around the base out to the drip line.Works.

katelin1, Dec 6, 12:28am
You shouldn't spray copper onto trees in leaf as it will burn the fresh growth. Use Bravo once the leaves have come out.Leaf curl can affect the flowers and the overall health of the tree, so will no doubt affect it's fruiting ability.Prevention is the only way to go, with copper fungicide applications in autumn, winter and several times in spring before and during flowering (but before the leaves come out). If the weather in spring is wet, spray with Bravo weekly.

jules., Dec 7, 7:22am
We have a huge old GQ peach tree too, evey year it has curly leaf, but only on the first leaves, they soon drop off. It never seems to affect the fruit though. I have wondered about srpaying etc.a friend of mine told me that putting a pot of lavander under them stops the problem. Since doing that she has not had any curly leaf, however this season the lavander died and she wasnt fast enough to replace it, the tree now has curly leaf. It is too late this season, but I will deffinately be trying it in future!

wildwest3, Dec 9, 7:13am
Don't hammer anything into your tree ffs,why does this idea persist! would you hammer galv nails into yourself to correct zinc deficiency! Keep up the copper spray, and and get a fungicide like Saprol.

tigra, Dec 10, 2:36am
LOL There are more old wives tales to do with garden perpetrated everlastingly than any other topic.

wildflower, Dec 10, 2:48am
We treated ours with copper about 3 times and were careful with the timing etc and it's still back this time.